[Vision2020] Borah Symposium:Three Disastrous Years in Iraq

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 14:32:40 PST 2006

All:

Dividing Iraq into Kurd, Sunni, and Shite "independent" states would not
solve the problems.  These separate entities would fight each other over
access to oil fields, and continue their tribal and religious strife.  And
US alley Turkey does not want an empowered Kurdish state on their border,
while the US does not want to push southern Iraq to ally itself more with
Iran, who already is influencing southern Iraq.

Offering each group a semi-autonomous governing region within a united Iraq
is another option, but why would this work when the separate state option
would not?

But we should back up and ask if the problems there are really ours to solve
for them.  What if some nation decided they needed to solve our nation's
problems during our civil war that killed half a million in the US out of a
much smaller population than now?  Would we have wanted France or England to
invade and force the north and the south to stop fighting and form some sort
of new peaceful government?  Even if the US expressed what brutal monsters
they were in the death and suffering of the US Civil War, fought in part
over the human rights abuses of slavery, if another nation had invaded to
solve our problems, however well intentioned, I think they would have faced
an impossible situation.

Isn't it wise to sometimes let nations solve their own internal problems
rather than thinking military force can mandate that everyone to play nice?
Wouldn't a policy that aimed at toppling Saddam from within, using the
resources and will of the Iraq people, have been more wise?  It was obvious
to many that the Iraq invasion to democratize Iraq, even assuming the most
noble aims, was a huge gamble, given the tribal and religious strife endemic
to that area.

It is often stated that just as the US maintained a military presence in
Germany and Japan post WWII for various reasons, we must militarily stay in
Iraq for similar reasons.  But of course Japan and Germany had occupied huge
areas of the world in an attempt at world domination.  Germany attacked,
conquered and occupied US allies, and Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and the US
Navy.  Iraq was not threatening the US in an alliance aimed at world
domination.  And even Bush is now going public stating that Saddam and Iraq
were not tied to 9/11.  Also, the invasion of Kuwait had been repelled and
Iraq militarily was devastated after that war.  And Saddam was not liked by
Al Queda, who viewed him as a sort of Islamic heretic.

It would be wonderful if the US could militarily police the world removing
dictators and improving human rights as a general policy, but in some cases
military meddling in other nation's internal strife can result in a worse
outcome, which appears to be happening in Iraq.

This is a lose-lose-lose-lose scenario, whether we increase our forces (yes,
some insist this is what is needed to really stop the insurgency and police
Iraq), stay as now, withdraw slowly turning security over to Iraq, waiting
on the sidelines ready to re-invade if things get out of control, or
withdraw more permanently, there are lots of options, but none that are a
good solution.

But we won't totally withdraw... this option should not even be
realistically considered.  The US intends to keep permanent military bases
in Iraq.  The US will need them for the future oil wars.

The Borah Symposium next week should be interesting, given it focuses on
resource and/or oil wars.

http://www.martin.uidaho.edu/borah/2006_symposium.html

http://www.martin.uidaho.edu/borah/

Ted Moffett