[Vision2020] Re: Additional research on Iraq.....

ToeKneeTime at aol.com ToeKneeTime at aol.com
Tue Mar 21 10:17:28 PST 2006

Hi Nick,

The beef I have with your analysis is that it was drawn from the usual  group
of Bush hating, reflexively anti American sources.  I think one  should draw
from a broader array of material in order to produce a more informed
conclusion.  Why would you object to this?

I have spoken with several veterans of this conflict, one who was at the
point of our initial push into Baghdad 3 years ago.  They have uniformly
expressed a frustration with the liberal media for failing to report anything
positive out of Iraq.  Two told me they had made many friends among the  Iraqis and
that these people were very glad we are there.  And don't quote  Zogby because
his methodology and secrecy are unacceptable.

As for your list of negative assessments, there are any number of people  who
will give you any number of personal opinions.  You just choose the  ones
that support your view and repeat them.  Your professor from Basra  University is
no more authoritative than the Iraqi civilians my Marine friend  heard from.

You site several troubling examples of loyalty concerns among Iraqi troops
and police forces.  Yes, Iraq is  sectarian place, living a twelfth  century
existence.  These problems are very daunting and I understand that  they exist.
The question I have is why do you assume they are  insurmountable?  There are
many in the administration with access to far  more information than we are
privy to.  Don't you feel just slightly  presumptuous in condemning their every
utterance?

What if your dire predictions are not all realized?  What if after a
tremendous effort, we do in fact succeed in planting the seed of freedom and
democracy over there?  Think of a future free from the terror of radical  Islam.
Japan and Germany were warlike as hell and I'm sure there were many  who decried
our involvement there, who thought we could not rebuild and tame  them.  We
did though, and now they are members of the civilized  community.

I do not know if we will be able to do the same in the middle east.   But if
it is to ever have a chance at success, our effort will have to have at  the
very least, the reasonable patience and support of the American  people.

Best,  Tony