[Vision2020] meals on wheels update

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 14:10:50 PST 2006

WOW!
I would like to thank Linda Pike(Democratic candidate
for County Commissioner), Roger Falen(Republican
candidate for State Rep.), and Greg Mann(Chair of the
Latah Health Services Board) for alerting us to the
situation, providing information to us, and for trying
to find/work out a solution in order to resolve the
situation.

These things cross party lines and some problems are
best resolved when everyone works together for the
betterment of the community as evidenced here.
Although there is not a solution yet, I am hopeful
that one will be worked out soon.

I found out that last week Linda Pike sent out about
45 letters to churches and organizations to see if
they can help meals on wheels.  She has been asking
people for help to find a solution for hot meals for
the group. Linda Pike also spoke at the AARP luncheon
where she asked for people to help find a solution.
Linda is not part of Meals on Wheels, but is very
active with the seniors and sees how this has affected
those that use the program.

Roger Falen alerted v2020 to the problem and started
some good discussion which included some ideas for
alternate kitchen sites.

I heard from Greg Mann who has contacted a funding
agency in Lewiston to try to find a source to cover
the extra costs of the meals.  He is sending out a
letter to the county commissioners that will outline
the plans that Latah Health Services has for Meals on
Wheels.  Mr. Mann is hopeful that Meals on Wheels will
be willing to negotiate with LHS and work out an
agreeable solution so hot meals can be served to our
seniors once again.

Hopefully a solution/compromise is on the way. It
sounds to me like whatever the problems are between
Meals on Wheels and Latah Health Services, the two
groups need to sit down and work things out.
Otherwise, a relationship that has existed for some 30
plus years will be for not.  Much to the detriment of
those in need.  -Tom