[Vision2020] Half-Cocked on Abortion

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 18 18:57:59 PST 2006

Hi Tony,

I was joking, too.  I was pretty sure that you were in full possession of your
manhood at 18. You were the one who brought up sexual dysfunction, so you're
responsible for the possible misunderstandings and embarrassment.

Yes, some traditions are bad but some are good, and human progress has been made on the basis of separating the good from the bad.  The traditional view of
personhood is a good idea that is backed up by scientific evidence.  The
traditional view of black or female inferiority is not based on evidence or good
ethics.

I have never denied that the conceptus is a human being.  I join great
theologians, philosophers, and jurists is saying that it is not yet a moral and
legal person.  You appear to be using the so-called potentiality principle with
your emotional appeal about cute babies, but please read my argument against
this at the end of my article. I've been told that at certain points in fetal development it's hard to distinguish an ape and human fetus, so let's not be fooled by what something looks like.

Yes, I cannot tell a lie.  I was a professor, and those students who read their
assignments usually got the best grades.  And Tony, if you want to engage in
intellectual debate, then it is certainly not snobbish of me to insist that you
join it with proper skills and respect.

Your first response attempted to be rational, but your second response is mostly
rhetorical.  I liked the first Tony better.

I have a puzzle/riddle for all you:  There are human beings who are not persons
and there are persons who are not human beings.  Using the traditional view of
persons, I challenge anyone one on this list to solve this riddle. I've made it
easy for people by actually setting up a set theory diagram with acronyms at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/personpuzzle.htm.  Just tell me what the acronyms
stand for and you win a prize.  No fair going to the UI fraternity house where
they have this solution on file!

Take care,

Nick Gier