[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter 10, March 13-17

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Fri Mar 17 16:33:28 PST 2006

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER 10--March 13-17/2006

     The big news in Boise is that President Bush nominated
Governor Kempthorne as the new Secretary of the Interior.    Lt.
Governor Risch will make a statement about his intentions on the
steps of the Capitol this morning.   We will see if he will throw his
hat in the ring and run for Governor against Butch Otter and a
number of other candidates.  If he decides to run for Governor
then there will be a ripple reaction as to who may file to run as Lt.
Governor.   It will also be interesting to see how the nomination
changes the dynamics between the Legislature and Governor as
we head towards the end of the session.   It is also rumored that
Speaker Bruce Newcomb might run for Lt. Governor if Lt. Go.
Risch runs for Governor.

There have been other highlights this week:

  1.  Senate Approves Statehouse Renovation  --  We will have a
new Statehouse by 2010.  The plan is to build two, 2-story
underground wings on the east and west sides of the Statehouse.
The estimated 100,000 square feet of new space will hold larger
and more accessible hearing rooms and new offices.  At the same
time the 100 year old Capitol will be renovated and restored.  The
two projects should cost about $114 million which will be paid for
by the extra cigarette tax.

  2.   Sex Offender Legislation --  SB1312 calls for enhanced
registration requirements that violent sexual predators register
four times a year with their local Sheriff.  There are also enhanced
penalities.  One is a maximum 10 year prison sentence for failure
to register as a sex offender.   Idaho currently has 2,671 registered
sex offenders, 32 percent of which are registered as violent sexual
predators.

  3.   HB743--School Facilities Effort to Settle the 14 Year Old
Lawsuit.  This draconian bill is floating around the Senate.   If a
school district has unsafe school buildings  and the patrons fail to
pass a bond issue--then the State Board of Education can fire the
District Superintendent, the Assistant Superintendent, Principals,
and all other administrative staff under the bill.   The State Board
can then appoint a new Superintendent, and the Superintendent
can raise property taxes without a vote of the patrons to raise
enough money to access the $25 million emergency fund and then
 build a new school.   A most draconian approach and perfectly
legal according to our Attorney General.   I'll be voting against the
 bill.

  4.   Pay raises for the Governor and other Officials  --  The Senate
passed a bill for a 5 percent raise for the Governor and other
officials.   I will not support the bill.   State employees only
received a 3 percent raise and haven't had any raise for four years.
I predict the House will amend the bill and leave the raise at 3
percent.

  5.   SB1396  --  Updating Animal Cruelty Laws  --  This past
summer I worked with a task force including Department of Ag
officials, the Idaho Humane Society, and representatives of the
agricultural sector to craft legislation to update our animal cruelty
laws.   SB1396 passed the House and this is a positive
achievement for the protection of our pets and domestic animals.

  6.  HB750 Bullying  --  My bill, which strengthens state law
against bullying and harassment in the schools, passed the House
66-0 and moves on to the Senate.  A major focus of  the new bill is
on cyber bullying.

  7.  HB702  --  Needs Based Scholarships  --  I co-sponsored this
bill which passed the House 39-26.   It sets up the intent language
to establish needs based scholarships for qualified students at
Idaho universities and colleges.   There was no request for
funding.   I have been told by one member of JFAC that there may
be some extra       money left over at the end of the session that
could be placed in the scholarship fund  --  it is all in progress.

   We have miles to go in this session.   We still need to arrive at a
consensus concerning the school facilities lawsuit, state highways,
and property taxes.  My prediction is that April 1st still looks like
a reasonable date for closing up shop.   Please send me your
comments and suggestions:  ttrail at house.idaho.gov

Representative. Tom Trail