[Vision2020] Council Far From Anti-Growth

B. J. Swanson bjswan at moscow.com
Fri Mar 17 09:25:00 PST 2006

Matt,

To my knowledge, Schweitzer never tried to build in Moscow.  LEDC didn't
exist until 1987 so it may have been the Chamber that handled it in 1982,
but I doubt that Moscow was ever in the running then.  Ed Schweitzer is a
WSU grad and has always been very supportive and committed to Pullman.

Perhaps the confusion is with Advanced Hardware Architecture (AHA).  They
started in Moscow in the 1980's, moved to Coeur d'Alene, then back to
Moscow in the U-I Incubator.  In the early 1990's AHA wanted to expand out
of the Incubator, but try as we might, there was not a suitable place for
them in Moscow and they moved to the Port of Whitman in Pullman.  However,
now they are back in Moscow as Comtech-AHA and a great addition to this
community.  Recruiting Comtech-AHA back to Moscow was a joint effort by
the City of Moscow, Latah County, Latah Economic Development Council,
Clearwater Economic Development Council, Idaho Department of Commerce &
Labor, INEEL and many others.

Losing AHA in the early 1990's was the wake-up call that brought about
Alturas Technology Park so we wouldn't continue losing those kinds of
businesses that pay better than living wages and contribute to the
community in so many other ways.

If there is ever an opportunity to get a part of Schweitzer in Moscow, I'm
certain the whole community and the State of Idaho will roll out the red
carpet for them just as we did for Comtech-AHA.

I certainly agree with your statement about retail FOLLOWING the higher
end jobs.  Retail following good jobs is the ideal and sustainable way for
a community to grow.

B. J. Swanson

--------------------------------

BJ,

Did Schweitzer try to build in Moscow or not. If not I stand corrected. It
really is not the basis of my argument which is that our council I believe
is not PRO growth. Yes who wouldn't love the fact of picking and choosing
what businesses we should have. But reality shows this is a free country
and
I have no problem if a superwal mart or giant jelly bean factory would
also
follow the higher end jobs.

Matt