[Vision2020] The Friday Letter from UI President White (March 17, 2006)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 17 05:32:56 PST 2006

Today's (March 17, 2006) Friday Letter from UI President White -

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends

March 17, 2006

Dear Friends,

Our annual budget planning process is underway, and on March 6 and 8, budget
presentations and dialogues were held with faculty, administrators and staff
representatives. The focus of these presentations was on University leaders,
who shared their initial views on how they would allocate current budgets
within the context of the recently adopted Strategic Plan. While we have
limited new resources from the state to allocate through budget processes
this year, the hearings allowed presenters to describe their strategic
directions and related funding, look for overlapping efforts, and examine
best practices employed by others.

This exchange of information allows us to prepare our funding requests to
the next legislative session, to better prioritize capital funding for new
facilities, and to identify our most critical areas for private fundraising.
In the years to come, the linkage of the Strategic Plan with the budgeting
process will allow us to effectively attain our goals.

The next steps in the development of University strategic directions include
synthesizing the key points from the presentations, summarizing our revenues
once the legislative session has concluded and establishing decision
frameworks for allocating funding to priority areas. As this process
progresses, Provost Doug Baker and Vice President Nancy Dunn will meet with
faculty, students, staff and administrators to share the work to date and
solicit feedback on its content and the budgeting process.
Please participate in those meetings and share your insights.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

~ The University of Idaho men's and women's snowboard team each finished in
second place overall at the U.S. Collegiate Ski Association national
championships last weekend at Sugarloaf, Maine. In addition, freshman alpine
skier Kristin Wick finished in the top 10 in both the slalom and giant
slalom races. The women snowboarders took first place in the team halfpipe
competition, holding on to the title they earned two years ago - the last
time the halfpipe competition was held. The men's snowboarders took home a
first place in the team boardercross event.

~ "WildWeirdWacky," the 15th annual production of Dancers Drummers Dreamers
comes to the Hartung Theater to wow audiences with its unique blending of
sound and movement. Performances are held at 7:30 p.m.
March 23-25, and at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 25. Ticket prices range from
$7 to $10 plus applicable service charges, and are available from the UI
Ticket Office or any TicketsWest outlet. The performance combines Dance
Theatre and Percussion Ensemble in a collaborative production.
Since its founding in 1991 by Professors Dan Bukvich and Diane Walker, the
production has grown into a sell-out performance each spring.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

UI '96

and the Realist adjusts his sails."
- Unknown