[Vision2020] Unclear P & Z Notice

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Mar 16 09:55:32 PST 2006

Kit,

Thank you for the information.

However, the same comments apply to this development proposal as to any.

It doesn't matter who the applicant is, be it the Aryan Nations, the Friends
of the Sewer Lagoon, or the Anti-Rhododendron League.  The city has a comp
plan and a zoning ordinance.  Everyone (repeat: everyone) should be held to
the same standards and treated equally within the parameters of the plan and
ordinance.

Built into the plan and ordinance is a certain amount of discretion.  This
discretion needs to be very carefully and fairly exercised.

When any proposal notice contains the language: "The proposal would require
modification to or waiver of certain
City development standards," especially careful official and public scrutiny
is needed.  The deviations requested and their effects/consequences on
near-bys and the general public need to be thoroughly explored and
broadcast.  For example, is a developer asking for a vacation of a public
right-of-way or the vacation of a public street in which taxpayers have
already invested?

As I replied to Dan, the decision to allow "modification to or waiver of
certain City development standards" should be both allowable under the plan
and ordinance AND should depend on the benefits (and lack of harm) to the
general public, and certainly should not solely depend upon the benefits to
the developer.  I know that this policy has not always been followed in the
past in Moscow, but one can always hope that the new city council will for a
change place public benefits ahead of private ones within the parameters of
the plan and ordinance.

I do not know the details yet of this particular proposal.  When I saw the
notice, the request for modification/waiver jumped out.  It is a red flag.
I am also especially leery of proposals which entail sooner or later tax
advantages for the developer for which the rest of the taxpayers must make
up.  I do not know if this proposal falls into that category, but any that
would ought be rejected unless there are overwhelming PUBLIC benefits.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

PS:  Does anyone know why the plan map used in the public notice was
authorized by the Community Development Director?  The map gives no
recognizable information about the location of the proposal.  The inclusion
of a map in a public notice functions to alert those that might be affected
by the proposal so that they might be motivated to seek further information;
the map provided could not do this at all.