[Vision2020] Living on the Border

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Wed Mar 15 11:13:35 PST 2006

On 15 Mar 2006, at 10:20, Area Man wrote:

> Vision people (and illustrious City people),
>

> After reading the articles in last night's Daily News (March 14) and
> this morning's Lewiston Trib (March 15), it got me thinking (dangerous
> prospect, I know).
>

> There was some talk about how there is the "physical" (but not
> necessarily "legal" or "desirable") ability to connect water and
> sewer to the proposed shopping center across the border
> (http://www.hawkinscompanies.com/fliers/
> WA_Pullman_Hwy270_AirportRd_F.pdf -- for those who haven't seen it),
> and also talk of how allowing such a hookup would be a "momentous
> decision."  There are questions as to whether the city of Moscow can
> even collect fees for allowing such a hookup.
>

> I wonder how other places do it.  The first place that popped into my
> head was Kansas City Missouri/Kansas, which obviously straddles the
> border between those two states.  Then I started thinking about places
> in Idaho, and two jump out at me:  Oldtown ID/Newport WA up North, and
> Fruitland ID/Ontario OR to the South.  Lewiston/Clarkston would be a
> good example as well, but I don't believe there is much sharing of
> infrastructure due to the geographic seperation by the Snake River.
>

> Anyhow, these are probably only a miniscule few of such communities.
> I think the City of Moscow should look at how things are done in such
> cases to help guide them in making this work the best for everyone,
> especially for Moscow.  I hate to say it, but I think this development
> across the border is inevitable, due to the Whitman County
> Commission's recent turn toward retail development in the county.
> None of us have to like it, but wouldn't it behoove the City of Moscow
> to do all they can to make it benefit us as much as possible over here
> on the east side of the border?
>

> Starting to hear a sucking sound from the west . . .
>

> Dan Carscallen

Just a question -- can we (Moscow) supply water and sewer services to
Pullman without upgrading our systems to meet Washington standards?
Don't know where I heard this (perhaps it came to me in a dream), but I
believe that our neighboring state has more stringent requirements for
such things than laissez-faire Idaho.  Are we up to snuff?  And, if
not, what would it take to get us there, and would it, in the end, be
worth?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: On a related note, I'm really puzzled by the Daily News and the
Lewiston Tribune's coordinated and concerted effort to portray the new
Moscow City Council as anti-growth.  Rubbish!  What we have in place
now is a majority of pro-business, smart growth liberals; they have no
interest in stifling the economy.  Far from it.  Our present city
council is more far-sighted than its predecessor, and consequently
recognizes that not all development is good.  It's best to target
development to support existing business while growing new
opportunities.  This is a new economy council, not an old boys network,
thank God.  I'm looking forward to what Mayor Chaney and the council
will accomplish in the next few years.  Just for a start, we, the
citizens, are talking to one another about exactly what kind of Moscow
we want rather than sitting on our complacent backsides and allowing
city development to be dictated by the wants and (monetary) needs of
real estate agents and developers.

BTW, Tom and Virginia Henderson -- of the Trib and the Daily News,
respectively -- need to get out more.  Tell you what, let's have a few
of us pro-business liberals (yes, I am one) offer to meet them on
Turkey Tuesday at Moscow's Subway.  I'll treat them to
buy-one-get-one-free foot longs with the works.  While they're chewing,
they won't be writing.  It'll be a lovely chance for them to be quiet
and listen.