[Vision2020] Living on the Border

Area Man areaman at moscow.com
Wed Mar 15 10:20:35 PST 2006

Vision people (and illustrious City people),

After reading the articles in last night's Daily News (March 14) and
this morning's Lewiston Trib (March 15), it got me thinking (dangerous
prospect, I know).

There was some talk about how there is the "physical" (but not
necessarily "legal" or "desirable") ability to connect water and sewer
to the proposed shopping center across the border
(http://www.hawkinscompanies.com/fliers/WA_Pullman_Hwy270_AirportRd_F.pd
f -- for those who haven't seen it), and also talk of how allowing such
a hookup would be a "momentous decision."  There are questions as to
whether the city of Moscow can even collect fees for allowing such a
hookup.

I wonder how other places do it.  The first place that popped into my
head was Kansas City Missouri/Kansas, which obviously straddles the
border between those two states.  Then I started thinking about places
in Idaho, and two jump out at me:  Oldtown ID/Newport WA up North, and
Fruitland ID/Ontario OR to the South.  Lewiston/Clarkston would be a
good example as well, but I don't believe there is much sharing of
infrastructure due to the geographic seperation by the Snake River.

Anyhow, these are probably only a miniscule few of such communities.  I
think the City of Moscow should look at how things are done in such
cases to help guide them in making this work the best for everyone,
especially for Moscow.  I hate to say it, but I think this development
across the border is inevitable, due to the Whitman County Commission's
recent turn toward retail development in the county.  None of us have to
like it, but wouldn't it behoove the City of Moscow to do all they can
to make it benefit us as much as possible over here on the east side of
the border?

Starting to hear a sucking sound from the west . . .

Dan Carscallen