[Vision2020] Council Far From Anti-Growth

John Dickinson johnd at moscow.com
Wed Mar 15 08:51:00 PST 2006

Visionaries—

When I talk with businesses about Moscow and friendliness, the conversations
are more about where people buy things. I have had several business owners
tell me that they thought Moscow was not especially friendly because so many
people travel to Lewiston or Spokane to buy a car or use the internet to
purchase books, CDs, or clothes. The benefit of either sales or property
taxes is dwarfed by the effect of buying local. Being business friendly is a
community issue, not simply a government one. Buy something today in Moscow.

I am sure that no members of our community would like a City Council that
rubber stamped everything that came before it. To question proposals is an
important function of the council. For example, the proposed development
just across the state line is very large. It would essentially double the
commercial space in the Moscow area. I don’t believe that growth of this
magnitude is planned growth. If we doubled the number of houses in Moscow,
or doubled the number of students at UI, or doubled anything overnight –
we’d have significant problems.

I enjoy reading V2020; perhaps the next V2020 social activity could be a
shopping spree from one end of town to the other.

John Dickinson

Your city council member.

  _____