[Vision2020] Re: Parasite?

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Tue Mar 14 18:08:51 PST 2006

You really must read your Bible more carefully, Donovan. I was
referring to the Onan story in Genesis 38:8-10. It was not God who
ordered Onan to get his brother's wife pregnant; it was his daddy
Judah. Instead of death for disobedience, the usual punishment is as
follows: "... then his brother's wife shall go up to him in the
presence of the elders, pull his sandal off his foot, spit in his
face, and declare: 'This is what is done to the man who does not
build up his brother's house..'" (Deut. 25:9).
Ralph Nielsen

[Vision2020] Re: Parasite?
Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 14:42:39 PST 2006

"Why God killed Onan for his disobedience
instead of exacting the usual penalty (Deuteronomy 25:5-10) we are
not told. But anybody who reads the Bible carefully knows that we
can't trust in God."

What a horrible thing to say! I trust in God more than myself.

God took back Onan's life because God gave him a direct command to marry
his dead brother's wife and give her a child and Onan openly defied
God.

The moral of the story here is, when God tells you to have
sex with a woman and get her pregnant, by golly, you better do it! :)

I was also unaware that Holy Water induced an abortion. I thought
that only worked on vampires.

_DJA

Ralph Nielsen <nielsen at uidaho.edu> wrote:  [Vision2020] Re: Parasite?

Ralph Nielsen
Many Bible commentators prefer the word "murder" instead of "kill." A
Hebrew is specifically forbidden to murder a fellow Hebrew. Killing
people for picking up sticks on a Saturday is commanded by God.

Joan is correct, the word "abortion" is not found in the Bible. But
God does speak of it in two places. Read my letter, the last one, in
the Lewiston Tribune, Sunday March 12.

According to God's law, in Leviticus 27:3-7, the lives of children as
well as women are not valued as highly as those of adult men, while
no value whatsoever is given to a child under the age of one month.
There is no indication that a fetus has any status at all. So size
and gender do matter to God.

Onan's sin was not that of coitus interruptus. It was his refusal to
impregnate his brother's widow in order to father a son for his dead
brother (Genesis 38:8-10). Why God killed Onan for his disobedience