[Vision2020] Letter to the editor

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Mon Mar 13 13:53:47 PST 2006

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the kind and wonderful
person who ran over and killed my neighbors dog.  Your thoughtfulness
and humanity are illustrated by your behavior.  Maybe you were in a
hurry.  Maybe you were too busy talking on the phone.  Maybe you
didn't even notice that you ran over the poor little thing.  When I
got to the scene of the crime, there was this poor little dog staring
up at me, looking really sad, scared and bewildered.  It's little
buddy/sibling was lying there in a pool of blood, dead.  You didn't
even have the decency to stop and pull the dog off the road, much
less contact the owners and clean up the mess.  I did.  The
unfortunate owner was in shock and nearly fainted.  To you, maybe it
was just a stray dog.  To the owner, the dog was family, a cherished
and loved animal.  A cherished and loved family member.

When driving in the country, remember: there are wild animals that
may jump out in the road at any second.  Deer, moose, elk, racoon,
the list is long.  There are also dogs and cats.  And even people.
Drive slower, drive safer.  Domestic animals are rarely chained or
secured in the country.  We live with the knowledge that a family pet
might get run over or otherwise injured.  What we hope for is, if
such an unfortunate event occurs, that the driver has the common
decency and integrity to at least try to locate the owner and clean
up the mess.

To whomever ran over my neighbor's dog: I hope you read this letter.
I hope it weighs on your conscience.  Would you react the same way if
was a person you ran over?  I certainly hope not.  But your reckless
behavior leaves one to wonder.

Steven Basoa