[Vision2020] Two indications of increase in government secrecy

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Sat Mar 11 11:40:23 PST 2006

All,
As a pharmacist I recently had the need to search for the incidence of
adverse drug events for a certain drug. In the past, this data was
freely searchable and available on the FDA website. Now, the information
is available through expensive proprietary information services or for
free if you beg for it via an FOI request (which may or may not be
granted). It is also available as multiple datafiles downloadable from
the FDA website and which cover multiple time periods.It might take me a
week to put the data together into usable form and an average person
could not makes any sense of it, period. What I also gather is that the
consumer as well as myself are essentially excluded from meaningful
information. It might be available with a paid subscription, but again
that puts it out of reach of regular people. As a government agency the
purpose of the FDA should be to disseminate information, not to create a
data source for proprietary database companies. While technically making
the information public, the government, for all intents and purposes,
makes it secret, even to health professionals. I find this concept
sickening and contrary to my idea that government should be benevolent
protector of the average citizen. I don't know what this country is
going toward, but I am truly afraid it is not good. (By the way, the
argument for making this information difficult to access is that
uninformed people will look at it without understanding, see deaths and
injuries perhaps unrelated to the drug, and then start a webstorm
against a particular drug. The contrary argument is the fact that the
FDA and drug companies can not be counted on to protect consumers i.e.
Vioxx)

For those of you with economics backgrounds it is very interesting that
on March 23, 2006, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
will cease publication of the M3 monetary aggregate. See
http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/discm3.htm
This data is an indication of large and international related deposits
and would be first indicator if foreign investors were to start dumping
their U.S investments. (if I understand correctly--I do not have an
economics background). This might be a truly scary indicator of hiding a
pending economic meltdown.

Jim Meyer