[Vision2020] RE: Unstable, Doomed, Missed Points

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Wed Mar 8 22:41:37 PST 2006

At 01:39 PM 3/8/2006, you wrote:
>Jeff et. al.
>
>Your examples are interesting. Brothels are illegal, so a straw man
>argument.
>

>You can't get out of that point that easily!  A change in the law in
>Idaho, and brothels could be legal.  Why limit the "free
>marketplace?"  Regulated brothels might be safer for all, with
>mandated testing for STDs, etc.  Brothels exist anyway in Idaho, no
>doubt because they make money and have an eager customer base, so
>will you come out against the "protectionism" of laws against brothels?

Nope - I would not - and I think you are being somewhat silly.

>A change in Moscow's regulations limiting the size at which a
>retailer can build (sq. ft. of the building(s) at a given site)
>would render a Wal-Mart Supercenter thus "illegal."  Then your
>championing of the Wal-Mart Supercenter would become a "straw man
>issue" because it would be "illegal" to construct.  Somehow I think
>you would still be arguing that the proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter
>was blocked unwisely.

Yes, I would make that argument - it would be a foolish thing to do
and that is why I am engaged in this issue.

>I wonder, do you support anti-trust law of any kind?  Under what
>circumstances?  When US corporations violate environmental, labor or
>human rights laws in other nations, laws that are widely accepted in
>the democratic world, to allow them to out compete business
>competitors, should any government regulation be imposed to stop such conduct?

Yes, I support the existing anti-trust law in the US.  Do I think
that the US should interfere in the trade and economics matters of
other countries?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Each non-democratic
country brings its own special challenges.  I think we have a
reasonable strategy for working with China.  On a related note,
should Latah/Moscow be interfering in the planning and zoning issues
for Whitman County - absolutely not!