[Vision2020] RE: Unstable, Doomed, Missed Points

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 13:39:03 PST 2006

Jeff et. al.

 *Your examples are interesting. Brothels are illegal, so a straw man
> argument.  *

You can't get out of that point that easily!  A change in the law in Idaho,
and brothels could be legal.  Why limit the "free marketplace?"  Regulated
brothels might be safer for all, with mandated testing for STDs, etc.
Brothels exist anyway in Idaho, no doubt because they make money and have an
eager customer base, so will you come out against the "protectionism" of
laws against brothels?

A change in Moscow's regulations limiting the size at which a retailer can
build (sq. ft. of the building(s) at a given site) would render a Wal-Mart
Supercenter thus "illegal."  Then your championing of the Wal-Mart
Supercenter would become a "straw man issue" because it would be "illegal"
to construct.  Somehow I think you would still be arguing that the proposed
Wal-Mart Supercenter was blocked unwisely.

I wonder, do you support anti-trust law of any kind?  Under what
circumstances?  When US corporations violate environmental, labor or human
rights laws in other nations, laws that are widely accepted in the
democratic world, to allow them to out compete business competitors, should
any government regulation be imposed to stop such conduct?

Ted Moffett