[Vision2020] Me, my book, and Moscow's secret zoning society

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Tue Mar 7 10:00:33 PST 2006

On 7 Mar 2006, at 07:45, Carl Westberg wrote:

> Actually, this post has nothing to do with the subject line.  I just
> find it....attractive.  Rather, this is to remind you of the soiree
> tomorrow (Wednesday) night at Bookpeople starting at 7 pm celebrating
> the release of Joan Opyr's opus  "Idaho Code: Where Family Therapy
> Comes with a Shovel and an Alibi".  Joan is, of course, too shy to
> plug this herself, so I thought I'd do it for her.
>

>                                             Carl Westberg Jr.

Yes, that' s me, shy and retiring.  I actually got Melynda (my
under-Idaho-law-illegal spouse) to call the Daily News and inform them
of the event.  Just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Here's a funny
thing: the fellow from the Daily News who called Melynda back to verify
the information asked, "Now, the book is called 'Idaho Code.'  Is it by
any chance about the Moscow zoning code?"

Why, yes.  I've written a murder mystery about Moscow zoning code!
Wouldn't that be exciting?  Publishing houses would be beating down my
door -- forget the DaVinci Code; this is DaZoning Code!  The blood of
the holy grail flows through our comprehensive plan, and, hidden
somewhere in the armpit of the Mona Lisa, lies proof of the existence
of the "Illidioti," a medieval secret society which has explicitly
granted Doug Wilson the right to put New St. Andrews wherever he damn
well pleases.  I'm scared!

Steven Spielberg, what are you waiting for?  Call me now for the movie
rights!  Playing Doug Wilson will be Danny DeVito; playing Rose Huskey,
Kathy Bates.  Playing me and Brother Carl?  Johnny Depp and George
Clooney.  Of course.

Joan

PS: If you really want to know, 'Idaho Code' is about the unwritten
code of the West, about "cowboying up" in the face of tragi-comic
disaster.  Or, as Bob Greene of Bookpeople has been telling customers,
Idaho Code is a "cheery, folksy tale of murder and mayhem in an
alternative Moscow."

Joan Opyr
Northern Idaho Editor
New West Magazine