[Vision2020] The Auntie Establishment and Brother Carl Show(March 5, 2006)

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 7 06:54:07 PST 2006

Ms. Huskey, Thank you for your response. It was eloquent and your argument
was laid out far better then mine. However, at a minimum, I must take
exception to the following

 I choose to
> refrain from shopping at Wal-Mart because it is a singular case--a
> retailer which dominates world markets to a larger extent than any other,
> and which does so in ways which contribute significantly, if not
> exclusively, to human suffering.

First I would like some clarification of your use of the word "exclusively."
Wal-Mart sells a great many products. Not all of them come from China.
Those that do come from China are not items exclusive to Wal-Mart. They are
marketed by other retailers. How does "exclusively come into the picture? It
seems odd that I didn't hear these same arguments put forward when the first
Wal-Mart store was built. (to say nothing of Dollar Tree, practically all
China, All the time) Now that they want to expand and sell groceries and
petroleum products, neither of which are imported from China, the "human
rights" polemic is trotted out. Seems more politically expedient than heart
felt.

Secondly, We're back to the real crux of the issue. "I choose to refrain
from shopping at Wal-Mart"  I understand and respect that but I would
greatly prefer that your choices remain your own. I would never dream of
insisting that you patronize a Wal-Mart store, I would hope that you would
not deny others the opportunity.

G. Crabtree