[Vision2020] The Auntie Establishment and Brother Carl Show(March 5, 2006)

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 6 18:14:31 PST 2006

Mr. Crabtree,

I keep meaning to reply to this line of argument but I've been busy with my day job.

It is not a sign of inconsistency that one points out a moral flaw for organization A yet not a similar flaw for organization B, even though A and B are equal with regard to said flaw. This was the point of the Tommy story. Many of us see people doing things we dislike everyday -- failing to stop in a crosswalk, for instance -- and only once in awhile do you choose to say anything about it. Doesn't make the folks who escape without criticism right.

This is a complicated point and I'm not trying to make it too simple. Lots of businesses trade with China. That in and of itself does not justify such trade; nor does it require that one can only criticize one of these businesses without criticizing them all. This is a huge problem. If we want to change things, and respect the idea that all persons have rights, we have to start somewhere. Some of us choose to start with Wal-Mart, since they are symbolic of the general problem.

You might say that this is inconsistent but to that I reply that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

--
Joe Campbell

---- "g. crabtree" <jampot at adelphia.net> wrote:

Ms. Opyr, Your conviction and enthusiasm for human rights in China and elsewhere is laudable. Just to be sure I understood you correctly, are you telling all of us here on the list that you will not be patronizing *any* business that sells products that are in *any* way connected with the afore mentioned countries? Or does your righteous indignation begin and end with Wal-Mart?

G. Crabtree