[Vision2020] From a lurker, mostly

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Mon Mar 6 13:40:24 PST 2006

One of the ideas in the t-shirt/global book is that textile factories tend
to pave the way for more civilized working conditions. I think her summary
was they started in Britain and were outsourced to the cheapo labor in the
New World and then on to other countries, now china but China will soon
have workers benefits and conditions that make it too expensive to produce
their and they'll move to the next developing textile manufacturing pool
(which is already starting to happen)

this is from memory so i am sure i am leaving out lots but that's the
general idea... it's not praising the textile industry but just seeing how
improved working conditions seem to follow it and then drive it to the
next country.

debbie