[Vision2020] Goodnight Goody, Goodnight Ridge

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Mar 5 06:02:42 PST 2006

Arnold -

Ms. Swanson was referring to the "quality" of the product, not the price
comparison.

It is my impression that Wal-Mart will contract manufacturers to produce,
and sell to them (Wal-Mart), a lower quality product.  In this manner
Wal-Mart retains the manufacturer's label on the product while they
(Wal-Mart) continue to under-cut competition.

Now, before you go off on some long, boring dissertation about how well the
Duracell batteries worked that you purchased at Wal-Mart:  this retail
"approach" is not applied to ALL products at Wal-Mart.

Ms. Swanson is not the first person to make such a suggestion.  On February
3, 2006, David Gardner (host of NPR's "Motley Fool") interviewed Charles
Fishman, author of "The Wal-Mart Effect".  Like I had stated earlier, this
interview is well-balanced; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Sounds/MotleyFool_020306_WalMartEffect.wma

You will notice that Charles Fishman does not come across as, nor is he, a
campaigner against Wal-Mart.  His claims are substantiated by references he
makes in the course of the above interview.

Please listen to the interview, Arnold.  You may just learn something.

Until then . . .

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."
- Unknown