[Vision2020] illegals (was Loonball)

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Mar 4 19:22:51 PST 2006

Yes, Dan was joking.  Yes, Tom seems to have overreacted.  And yes, Matt,
you appear to be grossly uninformed about "illegals" who "soak up" benefits.
  Since by "illegals" I'm guessing you don't mean "U.S.-born people of Anglo
origin who commit illegal acts," it's reasonable to conclude that you're
afraid of Mexican-born people who cross the border without proper papers.

While living in Western Washington, I was privileged to work for 12 years
with recently arrived Mexican immigrants to the U.S.  Some were here with
legal papers.  Most were not.  But I don't know of anyone who didn't work,
didn't try to raise a family, and didn't try to fit in.  Some made use of
government services; all paid taxes into the system that provides those
services.

No one came to "soak up" benefits, Matt.  They came to work.  I knew of
families who were provided beat up old travel trailers to live in -- with
water provided by a hose through the window -- and then had "rent" of nearly
half their wages deducted for the privilege of living like that.  Choice?
Nope.  Some dairy owners want their employees on site and considered it a
requirement.   Mom, Dad and three kids in an 18-foot travel trailer on the
grounds of a working dairy farm . . . sounds like a hell of a deal to me.
Others trained their new workers for two or three weeks without pay,
claiming that U.S. law didn't require "paid training."  Quite a few pocketed
FICA and worker's comp deductions, leaving employees without coverage in
case of an accident, and others refused to provide even simple amenities
like toilets and fresh drinking water for employees.  Landlords rented one-
and two-room apartments with standing water, cockroaches, and mold-covered
walls to groups of men and families, then denied them their deposits for
things like leaving the keys on the window sill instead of the table.

I used to eat pollo en mole every Wednesday with a family living in an old
travel trailer, I've stood ankle-deep in cow manure pleading for someone's
check, I've helped bail water out of the sink and bathtub of apartments I
wouldn't keep my dog in, and I've seen children playing in fields of
effluent and living in trailers so damp that floors were reinforced with
cement bricks from underneath.  My ministry was a one-woman affair with more
poverty and degradation than I suspect you've ever seen, Matt, but I'm not
the hero in any of this.  I'm just a witness to the struggles of those who
heroically risk life and limb to make a life for themselves in the United
States, and I'm a far better person than I would have been for having been
able to help them once they arrived.  I'll let God decide whether their
coming here was a sin or not, but I feel pretty comfortable saying that
you're on shaky ground assuming that all who do come, come to just bleed you
dry.

keely