[Vision2020] Questions and Memories

AreaMan areaman at moscow.com
Sat Mar 4 14:13:13 PST 2006

Tom the out-of-stater has 4 questions he wants answered before he moves
here (hypothetically)

Here's how I'd answer 'em . . .

	>1)  What jobs are available?  By jobs, I mean career-oriented
jobs, jobs where ten to twenty 	years later I have progressed up the
management food chain, and am not still welcoming people 	to
Wal-Mart for $7.25 an hour.

I'd say the jobs are there.  Maybe not all in Moscow, but it ain't too
hard to drive 8 miles west.  Could there be more?  Hell yes.  I'd say
the answer to #1 is a "maybe".  You may want to have one lined out
before you plunk down the jingle for a house.

	>2)  What school facilities are available?  By school
facilities, I mean schools that have 	been upgraded in the past twenty
years, schools where my children would have access to the 	latest
technology, thus making their future that much brighter.

I think we can somewhat agree that there needs to be some upgrading to
the school system.  We were told last time around that there needs to be
a lot of rewiring, etc. to get the schools up to snuff technology-wise.
The fact that we pay a relatively high percentage of our property tax
toward the school system that needs some upgrading is a tad upsetting.
I love Moscow schools -- heck, I'm a product of them -- but I hope we
can make them better for my kids, and their kids.  My answer to #2 is
"We're workin' on it".

	>3)  What health care facilities are available?  If my wife or
children needed immediate 	health care, how soon could I expect an
immediate responder?

We're pretty lucky health care wise.  Our hospital(s) is (are) pretty
dang good, and even though they are volunteers, our EMTs are top drawer.
(yeah, I'm biased since I'm married to one)  I can tell you, though,
that our volunteers stay up to date with their training because I see it
first hand.  My answer to #3 would be positive.

	>4)  What is the crime rate?  Would I, my spouse, or my children
feel safe and secure late at 	night walking the streets returning form
an activity?

Yes, we've had some recent activity that would maybe make someone
nervous about the safety of our community, but those are still pretty
dang rare.  In my 37 years as a Moscow resident (and of the planet,
coincidentally) I'd have to say that we are still a safe community.
Would I like to see more law enforcement officers?  You bet.  I think my
buddy Tom LaPointe said it best the other night at the New Cities
meeting, stating that we haven't really increased our law enforcement
staff in keeping with the increase in population.  While I'd like to see
more cops on the streets, and keep 'em around with some decent wages, I
think it speaks volumes to the safety of Moscow that we haven't had to
have great increases in staff.  I'd say that's a pretty positive answer.

So what's the score?  Well, #1 and #2 are relatively neutral, while #3
and #4 are big positives in my book.  I'd say this makes Moscow
attractive.

Dangit, I hope I didn't talk any nutjob loonball Californians into
movin' up here!

DC