[Vision2020] Good bye my dear friend

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Fri Mar 3 12:24:19 PST 2006

To all of you,

As most of you may have known Phil and I were close friends.  As I sit and
type this out my heart aches for his family, his sons, Marian, and his
parents.

Rarely in life do we get the pleasure of meeting a person like Phil.  He was
a one of a kind person who truly cared.    I am so glad that many of you
have gotten to know Phil and have a beer or two with him.   He respected all
of you, he may not have agreed with you but he did respect you.

When Phil moved to Moscow in 2001 he came into town with the best of ideals,
he came with passion, hope, and a dream of prosperity for north central
Idaho.  He spoke of the joy that under-funded schools will receive mineral
royalties from the clay project.   He loved the idea of using his talents to
restore the Potlatch River to a major salmon spawning ground in much the
same way that he worked to restore tributaries of the Salmon River.

Many of you would point out Phil's short comings; he loved it and lived for
it.  Last week when him and I talked for a while he expressed the thrill of
debate with many of you, especially Wayne, Tom, and Nick.  This V2020 list
serve was very special to him, and you all meant so much to him.   Joan,
thanks for getting to know Phil and allowing him to write on New West.  I
know when he first read your work he was challenged by you, your stance on
many issues forced him to look inside himself and re-examine much of his
political and personal thoughts.

Mark, I am so glad that you and Phil were able to work together again, no
matter what side of the isle you were on, he respected you very deeply and
truly loved the challenge you brought to bear. Thanks.

I know personally Phil always challenged me to dig deeper, examine the
situation, and strive for a better solution.  An evening of beer of Mingles
was a treat for me, and usually I had to lead Phil home.   Dang it Phil, you
were way to young bud.....

He was a lover of Idaho, it people, its history, and its future.   He loved
Moscow and I have a feeling that he was comfortable dying there.

To my best friend,

Shalom

Chris

Chris Storhok