[Vision2020] Unstable,Doomed Model Cannot Protect OurQuality of Life

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Wed Mar 1 17:11:16 PST 2006

Oh Mr. Hansen, come on now.  And how do you suppose they got that
budget?  Surely all those resources must have come from the "Budget
Tree"! They must be indiginous to RI.

No, they accepted growth,  Mr. Hansen.

Grow or die - that is the bottom line.

Now let's cut to the chase.  Surely we can afford growth at 350 head
per year.  That really wouldn't inconvenience you too much now would it?

There is one particular flaw in the logic about the threat to "our
quality of life" here in Moscow.  First, who is "our"? Most of the
resident population in Moscow these days are transplants from
somewhere else (including me - 1979).  The folks that were here
before most of you, welcomed you with open arms and hearts.  While I
have had many natives tell me that they had some misgivings about the
"growth", they accepted it, nourished it and have, for the most part,
embraced it.

If I accept the premise that our quality of life is now suffering as
a result of growth and sprawl and too much this and too little that,
the question I pose is this - who brought that "change in the quality
of life" about?  I wonder if it isn't the result of all those
transplants, all those "newcomers", all those "progressives" - who
now seem to live by the mantra - our quality of life will be your
quality of life.

I wonder if there is an alternative solution?