[Vision2020] Wal-Mart a friend to those on a limited budget....

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 07:55:59 PST 2006

"There are lots of ways to save money other than to shop
 at a places that offer low prices by
exploiting others."--Joe Campbell

Faulty assumption. Just because a place offers low prices
does not mean that they are exploiting others. And just
because a place charges 50% more does not mean that that
the management is passing the savings on to their employees.

Wal_mart was offering lower prices then their competitors
back in the 1960, 70s, and 80s when all their products were
made in the US. They started buying overseas made products
because everyone else does and they needed to to remain in business.

Wal_mart is cheaper then other stores because they have
volume purchasing power and have a revolutionized inventory
purchasing and distribution.

Wal_mart is in some ways worse then its competitors, but in
other ways, better. But not much different.

_DJA

joekc at adelphia.net wrote:I'm  a working father of 1, Tony. I like low prices as much as the next guy  but I'd rather find other ways to make ends meet. How many cars do you  own? How many TV sets? How many CDs? There are lots of ways to save  money other than to shop at a places that offer low prices by  exploiting others.

And this has nothing to do with left vs.  right. Free enterprise should never trump human rights. "We hold these  truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they  are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that  among thgese are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." I don't  see any exceptions here for Chinese laborers, minimum wage cashiers, or  union truck drivers. I'm just trying to live in accordance with the  relatively conservative ideas of our forefathers (and foremothers). I'm  not a communist. Free enterprise is fine but human rights are the true  bottom line.

Of course, Wal-Mart is not the only guilty party but we have to start somewhere, right?

Best,
Joe Campbell

Tony wrote:

As a working father of 3, I find Wal-Mart's prices and selection to be very
helpful in making ends meet. I've talked to a number of people who work there
and they seem to think it a good place to be...  I wonder if the local  furor
isn't more a sign of the left's distaste for free enterprise in  general more
than anything Wal-Mart has done.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com