[Vision2020] Wal-Mart a friend to those on a limited budget....

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 1 00:21:04 PST 2006

Tony,

It is simply beautiful how much conservatives have to make up in order to make a point!

Did I say anything about shutting down Wal-Mart? We already have a Wal-Mart. Did I say anything about boycotting it? I'm not trying to eliminate Wal-Mart from the community. I just don't want them to put a Super Wal-Mart 1/2 mile from my house. There is a difference, right?

Don't you find it just a little troubling that the USA is, on the one hand, willing to invade a country because of human rights violations (this is the second justification given, after we failed to find WMDs) yet, on the other hand, we have absolutely no problem having other countries who are guilty of human rights violations manufacture our goods as long as we can save a few bucks in the process? I find it troubling and I'd like to do something about it. As much as I can, anyway (which is likely not a whole lot!).

To me, Wal-Mart is a symbol of our country's inconsistent values. If we want to right ourselves it has to start somewhere and I'm starting with them.

But that is not the only reason that I don't want a Super Wal-Mart 1/2 mile from my house. Another reason is that Wal-Marts are just plain ugly. I'd rather encourage more beauty in the town and less ugliness.

In case you're keeping track that is two values that I care about over and above economic values: moral values and aesthetic values.

Lastly, a Super Wal-Mart located on the east side of town is just continuing to follow the bass ackwards thinking of the previous town council. The old thinking was "Build the houses on the East Side and then solve the eventual traffic problems!" The new thinking will be "Solve the existing traffic problems first and then think about building -- and what to build." It is just called planning ahead. It is what we lecture our kids about and it is high time the city govenment started adopting that advice.

I'm interested to know what you think my real reasons are, by the way!

Best, Joe

---- ToeKneeTime at aol.com wrote:

=============
Joe,

I see.  We are attempting to shut down Walmart because we must "start
somewhere".  Why then throw the baby out with the bath water?  Why not  simply press
Walmart and presumably, all these other oppressive corporations, to  stop
acquiring their goods from countries that exploit laborers?  Why  advocate the
wholesale elimination of the business from the community?  And  with regard to
wages, these are the prevailing wages as set by the marketplace  and federal
edict.  Further, these employees in question, would probably  just as soon
retain their jobs.  If you care so intimately for their  welfare, why would you
push to eliminate their employer.  Somethin' don't  add up, Joe.  Come on, what
is your REAL motivation?  Or is it even  conscious?

Best,  Tony