[Vision2020] Crosswalk near Wendys

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 20:46:47 PDT 2006

My apologies if this has been discussed here before, but I wanted to
state my opinions on this.

I worry that someday some person (probably a college student) is going
to be seriously injured or killed at this crosswalk.  It has all the
makings of a death trap.  It's on one of the few four-lane streets
(five, really) around with a higher-than-average-in-Moscow speed limit.
I've seen so many drivers just cruise on through without even thinking
about it being a crosswalk, and I've also seen people just pop up from
the slight incline that leads to it's entrance on the UI side and just
start hoofing it across the road.  I'm aware of the dangers here, and
watch it closely, and I've still been surprised to find someone in the
crosswalk there.  They either popped up like we're playing whack-a-mole
from the UI side or they were hidden by the other cars that were just
blithely driving through the crosswalk ahead of them or behind them.
The signs are nice, but they are not enough.

I appreciate the need for a crosswalk there, since you either have to
jaywalk or walk a block in either direction or more to get to a valid
crosswalk.  As it stands, though, I think we'd be safer letting them
jaywalk - at least they would be cautious of the traffic.  With a legal
crosswalk there, the old UI-taught behavior of "just walk out there,
they'll stop" appears to kick in.

Some minor suggestions that might help would include a yellow light
suspended over the crosswalk, or maybe spotlights on both sides so we
can see better at night, or possibly a concrete "staging platform" that
is easily visible amongst the grass so we have a better idea where to
look ahead of time.  A better idea would probably be to just put a light
there, one that turns red only if a pedestrian pushes the button.

Anyone have any other ideas?  Are there plans for something to happen
there that just haven't been completed yet?

Paul