[Vision2020] Re: Parking Downtown Moscow

Philip Cook pcook818 at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 28 10:45:37 PDT 2006

> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:05:56 -0700
> From: Nils Peterson <nils_peterson at wsu.edu>
> Subject: [Vision2020] Re: Parking Downtown Moscow
>
> There are several threads to this conversation. The V2020 spin and
> polarization is interesting to watch.

[cut]

> For starters thinking about parking, consider this. At a dinner party the
> other night, Bill Parks outlined his thinking-- there are three problems not
> one. "Impulse" (his term) parking for shoppers, employee parking, and
> downtown resident parking. Is Bill right about 3 problems? Do the three
> problems have different solutions?

Nils,

You're onto something. We've got to define the problems (if there are problems) before we can propose solutions. Unfortunately, the current evidence of problems is mostly anecdotal and incomplete. We need a complete, data-driven parking survey of the entire CBD. At least then, we'll have some factual basis for saying there are, or are not, problems. Until then, I don't think we'll see agreement amongst City staff and officials, P&Z, business owners, developers, and other citizens about the nature and extent of the problems.

If we determine there is a shortage of parking downtown at certain times, then one question is what are the consequences of that shortage? For example, do customers go elsewhere to do business as a result? The conventional wisdom probably says "Yes," but I'd like to see evidence to support the conventional wisdom. (Anecdotally, I've never gone elsewhere to do business because I couldn't find a parking spot. The businesses that have what I want determine where I shop, not parking. Perhaps I'm an exception.)

And to look at it from a different angle: the parking problem may be caused by a driving problem. Are we treating the symptoms and not the cause? :-)

Philip Cook
Moscow