[Vision2020] Re: Getting a Community Plan was: Parking Downtown Moscow

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Tue Jun 27 22:50:16 PDT 2006

Nils, I am not saying that re-zoning the industrial grain elevator land is necessarily wrong.

What I am saying is that:
  (a) decreasing industrial land is a bad idea -- we need to maintain our industrial land and seek light industry and the jobs those bring with them.  If this land is to be re-zoned, (and you failed to note that I said that redevelopment of this land was not the issue) then industrial land ought to be sought in an area that is suited to it, so that we do not decrease our industrial land.

  (b) that eliminating a parking requirement by  magically transforming your land into the one category that does not require parking is a means of eliminating costs from the project -- and that is a developer idea to increase profitability of the project at the expense of neighbors who bear the brunt of the unallocated parking spillover.
To eliminate industrial land without anticipating and finding replacement industrial land is short sighted, bad planning and contrary to the needs of the community's need to diversify the job base.

And clearly, the request to eliminate the parking requirement is a developer-pushed idea to maximize his project's profitability, quite possibly at the expense of his neighbors and the community at large.

I stand by my statements.

The P&Z was right to ask the parking questions, and before such a major step as re-designating the land to Central Business District should be taken, the developer should allay the fears of the neighbors who would bear the brunt of the project by explaining how and why their concerns are misplaced -- if indeed they are.

Bruce Livingston