[Vision2020] Used Condom Found In Doug Wilson's Mailbox

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue Jun 27 10:35:27 PDT 2006

Friends,

Below is Wilson's latest public attack on his local critics; he is blaming
them (or perhaps I should say "us" given his recent attacks on me) for the
used condom recently placed in his mailbox.  I want to keep this brief:
Wilson is a very good politician and magical in his rhetorical ability.  And
he will stop at nothing to malign anyone that gets in his path.  I want to
therefore encourage everyone interested in bringing more publicity to Wilson
and criticizing him to play fair and play good.  Unfortunately, this is
because we need to play safe.  I should also note that when I arrived here
over 10 years ago, it was understood that Doug Wilson already had a bad
reputation with many locals and that emotions ran high because of his more
cock-sure and sarcastic rhetorical style over offensive political issues.
If you want to publicly criticize Wilson, you need to keep reminding folks
of these kinds of things.  Wilson's primary strategy is to isolate his
critic, even if it is only rhetorically and illusionary, and then attack.
Don't let him do this.

Michael Metzler

Just finished talking with the cops about an incident last evening. When I
came home last night (June 26, 2006), I checked our mailbox by the road
before heading up the driveway. The mailbox contained a used condom, or a
condom doctored to look as though it had been used. Now there are two basic
possibilities here. One of them is that this is some drunk frat boy's idea
of random acts of kindness. The cop told me that while such incidents are
not commmon, they do sometimes happen. But, honestly, given the climate that
the Intoleristas have tried to create here in Moscow, what are the odds of
that? The much more likely possibility is that an unstable someone took his
inspiration from the rancor that Intoleristas have been assiduously
cultivating. This, um, open-minded activist was therefore making his
anonymous statement. He is no doubt concerned that if I am allowed to
continue to preach the gospel the way I do, and write the way I do, the
distinct danger exists that there might be a degradation of our public
discourse. And of course, the kind of person who would do this kind of thing
is very concerned about degraded public discourse. The hypocrisy of the
Tolerant has long since blocked their drains, has backed up, and is all over
their floor. I even found some in my mailbox last night.