[Vision2020] Christ Church and freedom of religion

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 27 06:28:06 PDT 2006

Herein lies the beauty of fundamentalism! Trying to find textual support for his claim that "failure to attend congregational worship at church when one is able to is a sin," Princess offers the following:

"Paul says to the Corinthian church, 'The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Messiah? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Messiah?'"

He then writes: "So what happens to people who deliberately absent themselves from congregational worship? They are cut off from communion -- effectively excommunicated." In support he offers this passage:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man,
and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.Whoso eateth my flesh, and
drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last
day.For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He that
eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. As the
living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me,
even he shall live by me." (John 6)

Neither of these quotes is supportive of your claims, Princess. To get that support you have to add, not merely the Bible's words, but any one of a variety of rules of translation that you learned from your pastor, your parents, or any one of a number of contemporary authors. Literal translation of the Bible, or any other text, is a myth.

Best, Joe