[Vision2020] Christ Church and freedom of religion

Taro Tanaka taro_tanaka at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 26 06:34:39 PDT 2006

Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:

>The subject of free will is of intense interest to me; I have occupied
>a lifetime studying it, and reached no satisfactory conclusion.

If that is an abiding interest of yours, and if you haven't read it yet, you
should read Luther's "The Bondage of the Will." It is the best thing that
Luther wrote (which is saying a lot), very pertinent to the topic, and a
timeless classic.

>A purely mechanical universe is exactly the opposite of what you
>describe, and allows for no randomness whatsoever, but locks us into a
>casual chain from which there is no escape. etc. [snip]

I'm confused, because we seem to be in close agreement even though the
opening of your sentence here would suggest that you are contradicting me.
If my way of expessing myself was lacking in clarity, sorry 'bout that.

I would say that apparent randomness and mechanical determinism are two
sides of the same coin. What I didn't mention last time, and which I perhaps
should have mentioned, is the fact that our minds cannot delve deeply into
any subject without being confronted by paradox. This is true for the
Christian as well as for the non-Christian, viz. the title of Ralph Smith's
excellent book published by Canon Press, "Paradox and Truth." (Although I
suspect you would profit most by reading another of Smith's books, "Trinity
and Reality," also published by Canon Press, which explains how the
Trinitarian Christian perspective alone is able to resolve the paradoxes and
epistemological problems that face us as human beings.

I'd like to share with you two quotes from John Frame's "The Doctrine of the
Knowledge of God" that you may find interesting and useful in this context:

' . . . to make human beings creators or attestors in any sense might seem
to detract from the ultimate causality and authority of God. We must not
forget, however, that not only is the Lord authoritative and in control but
He is also covenantally present. Because He perfectly controls our
interpretative work, all of our thinking is a revelation of Him and a
manifestation of His presence. Thus we do not need to feat that the work of
the human mind necessarily competes with the authority of God, because the
Lord reveals Himself in and through our thinking. Human freedom then, need
not block out God's revelation. Thus we need not fear thinking and knowing.
And so a . . .  [correct] understanding of what the Bible teaches champions
the true freedom of human thought. If true the . . . ["autonomous thinker's]
boast that he is able to think autonomously ("freely") would imply only that
human thought is in bondage to the random forces of chance, when in reality
.. . . that is not the case . . . [to the extent that] we think in obedience
to God's Word, we know that our very thinking processes will reveal God to
us. Our minds image God, even in His sovereign attributes of control and
authority.'

'The Paradox of Analysis
'Another way to make the same point has been described as the "paradox of
analysis." Pretend that I try to gain knowledge of kangaroos by formulating
various equations such as "kangaroo=mammal," "kangaroo=marsupial mammal,"
"kangaroo=marsupial mammal found in Australia," and so forth. Such a process
might be called an "analysis" of the concept "kangaroo." It works fine,
until I decide that there must be an absolute identity between the two sides
of the equation, which is the desire for perfect or exhaustive knowledge of
the kangaroo. When I make that demand, I can satisfy it only by the equation
"kangaroo=kangaroo." Although that equation gives me an absolute identity,
it gives me absolutely no useful information. The moral is the same: when we
seek Godlike, exhaustive, infallible knowledge, we are likely to achieve
only total ignorance. Rationalism begets irrationalism.'

To bring all of this back to the original, main, topic, Christ Church seeks
to encourage men to willingly submit themselves to the ultimate Lordship of
the Triune God. Such submission is an act of faith and cannot be coerced.
The following statements by Paul are relevant:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present
your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God . . . and be not
conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind,
that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of
God."

" . . . the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to
the pulling down of strong holds; casting down imaginations, and every high
thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into
captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."

". . . be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new
man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness."

". . .  Christ In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

" . . . put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of
him that created him . . . "

What Christ Church prays for and hopes to see realized -- someday -- is
clear: that every knee would be bowed in submission to God, and every voice
raised in His praise. In other words, what Christ Church wants to see is the
transformation of the heart and mind of every individual. As that becomes a
reality, the laws of the land will change to reflect that reality. I would
say that is happening, gradually, even now. We see, for example, that the
distinct possibility that "birth control by abortion" is likely to be made
illegal in the USA during our lifetimes. The law was changed once (in the
wrong direction) and it can be changed yet at again (rectified). Albeit
imperfectly, the laws of the land reflect who we are. To the extent that we
are a Christian people, the laws will reflect the Christian character of the
nation.

-- Princess Sushitushi