[Vision2020] Free ointment advice

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Sun Jun 25 20:40:49 PDT 2006

Gary says that what makes him "cranky" are the perpetual flies in Doug
Wilson's ointment.  Too bad.  Doug's ointment isn't the only tainted
Vaseline around here.  Freedom of religion?  Bah!  Freedom of religion,
freedom of speech, the right to free association -- whoever said freedom
was nice?  I'm a political creature with a political agenda; that's not a
secret.  I don't want to live in Doug Wilson's Moscow, and, more
importantly, Doug Wilson doesn't want me to live in Doug Wilson's
Moscow.  That, also, is too bad.  There is room for Doug Wilson in my
world, but not if his voice is more powerful than my own; more powerful
than Saundra's, or Michael's, or Keely's, or Gary's.  What Gary fails to
understand (because he doesn't believe it or because he isn't trying) is
that it's Doug's way or the highway.  Why?  Because in Doug's Calvinist
theocractic dream world, if he can't be the boss, he cannot be happy and
he cannot be Christian.  If theological, philosophical and political
disagreement can't be stifled, masked, or driven into exile, then Doug,
by his own lights, will have failed.  That is an untenable situation for
the dedicated theocrat; flies in the ointment require more ointment.  But
then along come more flies.  Whoops.  Now what do we do?  Who the hell
wants a carboleum crammed full of blue bottles?

Here's the poop, Scoop: it is my right and my choice to be a perpetual
fly in any number of noxious unguents.  I've spent six years buzzing
through George Bush's Bag Balm; I consider it a moral obligation to
generate a flap in Fred Phelps' Preparation H.  James Dobson's Blistex,
Jerry Falwell's Ben Gay, Rick Santorum's Icy Hot -- all are fair game.
In a democracy, this is how things work.  And, like sausage-making, it's
not pretty.  To paraphrase my police friends, if you want everyone to
love you, be a fireman.

How are you with a ladder and hose, Doug?  (Or a ladder in your hose?)

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com