[Vision2020] answering g. crabtree

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Jun 24 23:23:46 PDT 2006

If I were one of the Kirk's "men of chest," I guess I'd answer with "oohhh,
ooohhhh, I know this one!" but I think Gary's question -- why criticize
Christ Church?-- is too important to not treat seriously, although I can
imagine that the Princess and the sports boyz are already guffawing . . .
Still, I'm pleased to jump in and ask only that Gary and his pals consider
what I've written, knowing that I write it as a Bible-believing Christian
woman and critic of Doug Wilson.

The reason that Christ Church and its various spokes and spokesmen are
"solely taken to task for philosophy's that could be laid equally at the
door of any number of other denominations," as Gary put it, is that while
many other Moscow-area churches hold to some similar core beliefs, none
holds to some of the peripherals -- the "harmonious" nature of slavery, for
example, or the stoning of gays, or communion and baptism for toddlers  --
that the Kirk does, nor is there any other church that practices a gleeful
"screw you" approach to dialogue with its neighbors.

For example, Bridge Bible Church is largely fundamental in its approach to
theology, as are the three or four Southern, Fundamentalist and Independent
Baptist churches in town.  All have pastors who consider homosexual acts to
be sinful, just as they consider heterosexual acts outside of marriage to be
sinful, and all profess to a distaste for the sinfulness of the world around
them.  They believe in and practice strict separation of roles in the
church, if not society and home, based on gender.  They join other
self-identified evangelical churches in town in believing the Bible to be
the inerrant word of God and are as politically conservative, in general, as
they are theologically conservative.  Some, like White Pine Baptist Church,
are King James-only and tend to be more isolationist; others, like Bridge,
adhere to all modern translations of Scripture and strive to engage with
their neighbors.  Still, they are, in doctrine if not in practice, fairly
similar in their beliefs -- amongst each other and, in regards to the
fundamentals of conservative evangelicalism, are not terribly different from
Christ Church.

With one exception -- evangelism, the public proclamation and living of the
gospel, is important to these churches.  They would sooner fold up than
offend their neighbors without reason.  They might, for example, be willing
to offend folks by proclaiming that sex before marriage is a sin, but they
absolutely would not risk damage to the Gospel by turning out their young
men to hurl invective and bigoted, foolish, or simply pointless rhetorical
bombs at those outside the fold -- the hurt they believe they would cause
their Lord and Savior precludes such a thing, and anyone purporting to
represent them, or their Christ, who acted like the Kirk's young men have
recently on Vision would be yanked back into the pews and taught a better
way.  Of course, those teaching would have the moral authority to correct
bad behavior, having taken pains to not engage in any themselves, and when
accusations were made against them, they would consider the merits thereof
without deflecting criticism with inane appeals to prooftexts of Scripture
that get them off the hook and allow them to avoid private examination of
conscience and conduct.

Now, given that CC is in the "hard Calvinist" strand of the faith, that kind
of concern about public witness is seemingly not terribly important.  After
all, devoted and true Calvinists believe that God, having already chosen --
and chosen "for His good pleasure" -- either the salvation or damnation of
the world's people, has no particularly charge for the church to conduct
itself in a manner that might win men and women to Christ.  Why bother?
First of all, the die has been cast -- the actions, for better or worse, of
the confessing church won't do a thing to affect the inclination or ability
of any person to seek and find Jesus Christ, so why bother with evangelism,
or even simply acting in a way that doesn't needlessly offend.  Second, if
God, in His sovereign wisdom and will, has actually created people for the
sole person of damning them to hell -- and that "for His pleasure" -- isn't
it a little fawning, a little foolish, to exhibit more care and concern for
the unbeliever than their Creator does?  And, in fact, wouldn't being one of
the "chosen" not put you on the side of the God who hates them so and takes
joy in their death?  Does that actually provoke warm feelings of concern and
affection for your presumably "unchosen" neighbors?  Remember that it's not
necessary that you judge correctly who's "in" and who's "out" -- they'll
come, or not, when God says so, so nothing you do matters.  Not for
eternity, not for salvation, not for evangelism, not for even the mildest
motivation to engage in less obnoxious behavior.  If God has decreed open
season on the pagan, then there's a fieldhouse full of boys who'll take up
their pitiful slings and arrows to get the ball rolling.

And so you have a church, then, whose pastor and elders and seminarians and
college students and congregants feel free to put out bogus press releases
promising topless lectures, who publish a magazine whose bloated
self-importance is only a little less offensive than its reliance on
scatological humor; who seemingly can't abide by simple rules for the
existence of boarding houses and schools; who engages in imprecatory prayers
against perceived enemies and wait hopefully for the destruction of public
schools; who, to put it charitably, botched the handling and reporting of
the two sex offenders in its midst and had the audacity then to blame gays
and liberals for the church's subsequent black eye; who steadfastly acts as
though testicles and an arrogant nature trump maturity and knowledge when it
comes to church leadership; who court and influence public officials in ways
that no other church would dare -- when not lying about them on their blogs;
who have managed to orchestrate campaigns of mockery and derision against
their critics and who keep some people in the church because they're too
afraid to leave; who crow and howl about ugly, unloved liberal women,
pathetic ex-hippies, Intoleristas and sodomites and who clearly have no love
for the people their God most wants them to sacrificially love and serve.

I may disagree with some of the theology of Christian churches on both the
liberal and conservative points on the spectrum, but I gladly call those in
them sisters and brothers.  With the leadership of Christ Church and with
many of the mostly male voices emanating from it, I'm not at all able to do
so, gladly or otherwise.  I don't expect them to care.

But you ought to.  You ought to expect that Moscow's biggest population of
thuggish, rude, mocking and belligerant bullies would not be found in a
church.  And you ought to expect that those who share the fundamentals of
their Gospel would have the courage to stand in conscience against them.

Standing firm, because for me to live is Christ --

keely