[Vision2020] Grinding Giers.......

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Jun 23 06:39:07 PDT 2006

Nick Gier has no need for me to defend him.  His body of work, even when I
disagree with its conclusions, has earned him the regard of his peers in
academia, and his character, which I always have found to be rock-solid and
marked with abundant kindness, has earned him the affection of those who
know him.

He is also bi-pedal and has symmetrical eyes, ears, and nostrils.  As far as
I can tell, that's about all he and Tony have in common.

I make these points for one reason, which I suspect most Visionaires have
already concluded:  The primary difference between Nick Gier and Tony
Simpson is not that they have utterly different views of the legitimacy and
purpose of the war in Iraq.  The difference between the two is that while
Nick tries, largely in vain, to engage Tony with fact, reasoning,
information, perspective and an appeal to human decency, Tony farts in
emails, refers to terrorists as "ragheads," and gleefully calls the man
attempting to engage him in debate a "looney toon leftist."

Any hope of reasonable dialogue, then, appears largely impossible unless
Tony goes vegan, breathes deeply before starting on the keyboard, and trusts
in his command of the facts surrounding the war, or unless Nick starts . . .
I don't know . . . munching on pork rinds while listening to Rush.

I guess I'm not holding my breath, but I sure would appreciate hearing a
reasoned, impassioned, civil and fact-filled post from someone who supports
the war.  Burritos are, I think, entirely optional.

keely