[Vision2020] News on Idaho's Independent US House Candidate

Tim Lohrmann timlohr at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 12:03:34 PDT 2006

      HEDDEN-NICELY FOR CONGRESS NEWSLETTER  Issue No. 6, 21 June 2006 • www.hedden-nicely.com
  IN THIS ISSUE:
  • We’ll see who’s laughing in November?
  • Smell of fear: First thing they always do is dismiss you
  • Border security linked to immigration
  • New and improved: Our online offerings
  • Sick of it all? We are too so let’s get together
  • Follow Andy: Upcoming Calendar dates

  WE’LL SEE WHO’S LAUGHING IN NOVEMBER

  By Andy Hedden-Nicely

  When I announced my independent candidacy for Idaho’s First Congressional District, the so-called experts in our state political establishment said I was crazy to run outside of the two major parties. Some even laughed. But they shouldn’t be laughing at the fact that 75% of First District voters didn’t cast ballots in the recent primary elections, according to the Idaho Secretary of State.

  Why? From my discussions around the District, it’s clear that Idahoans are sick and tired of the partisan bickering, the corruption and gridlock that have seized our government as a result of a two-party system that just doesn’t work any more.

  How are we proceeding with our campaign? We believe we can inspire voters with a clear alternative and a positive, well-defined platform. Many of them have already supported us by sending contributions ranging from $10 to $1,000 and pledging their votes. Contrast that with my Republican and Democratic opponents, both of whom will use outside, special interest money to finance their campaigns.

  This perverted system of financing elections shows how Washington works. And how Washington works can only be changed through term limits for Congress. So I propose a Constitutional amendment limiting U.S. House members to six two-year terms and Senators to two six-year terms. Twelve years. That gives them plenty of time to show their leadership but ensures that our legislators won’t perpetually be tied to the big money interests of Washington lobbyists.

  My second priority is to work for legislation that will support Idaho’s entrepreneurs and small businesses. The Republicans and Democrats have created a $9 trillion national debt that is going up at a rate of $1.73 billion every day. Yet our tax policies continue to favor the corporations while putting the major burden on the small businesses that are the economic backbone of Idaho’s economy. We need to rethink our priorities and come up with a strategy to immediately freeze the national debt and to begin paying down our obligations while at the same time helping small businesses thrive. And yes, we can afford it.

  Our third major priority is to begin immediately the process of winding down of the war in Iraq. As a nation, we’ll do a lot of soul searching about this grave passage in our history for years to come. But in the present, and to put the best face on it, we’ve removed a dangerous tyrant from a volatile part of the world. We can’t abandon Iraq in the wake of this conflict, but it’s now time for other countries, including progressive Arab neighbors, to provide security and to assist in the reconstruction.

  Meanwhile, we need to redistribute the funds used for the war to stepped-up border and port security in a post-9/11 world. Closely related to this fundamental aspect of homeland security is a desperate need to adopt a rational immigration policy that protects us while balancing our freedoms and our heritage as an immigrant nation.

  Energy and gas prices, and affordable health care for all Americans are critical issues among many others that we address in the platform section of our web site, www.unitedparty.net.

  How are we proceeding with our campaign? With faith in the voters of Idaho’s First District, who always have been open to new ideas, and who support individuals willing to work hard to bring about progress.  They’re fiercely independent and so am I. Together, I’m confident we can send a message directly from Idaho to Washington: It’s time for change.

  SMELL OF FEAR: FIRST THING THEY ALWAYS DO IS DISMISS YOU. Boise Weekly writer Shea Andersen captures the smell of fear at both major state political camps as he puts forth to them the question in this week's edition of The Boise Weekly: How will our guy, independent United Party candidate Andy Hedden-Nicely, factor into the First Congressional District race? Writes Anderson:

  "One topic of conversation at both conventions, whether whispered or not, could be the quirky candidacy of BW's former publisher, Andy Hedden-Nicely.

  “Hedden-Nicely is running for Congress as a member of the United Party, a new party that approximately resembles an independent's campaign. Hedden-Nicely said he has begun to get some pushback from friends, mostly Democrats, who say they wish he wasn't running, because he might take away votes from the Democratic nominee, former Micron executive Larry Grant of Fruitland.

  “Hedden-Nicely was a hit at a pre-primary debate sponsored by the AARP of Idaho, in which his straight-talking bromides against the dominant parties got laughs and just about the only applause of the evening."

  But here's the best stuff (again, quoting Andersen's BW piece):

  " 'When a guy hasn't any chance of winning, they get to say whatever they want,' " groused Richard Stallings, the chairman of the Idaho Democratic Party.

  “Likewise (Chuck) Malloy (Loser Sheila Sorensen's media director) dismissed Hedden-Nicely's chances in a race that has already become expensive for the two major parties.

  " 'Where's Hedden-Nicely in this equation? He just doesn't have any kind of luster,' " Malloy said. " 'That's just political reality.' " He suggested Hedden-Nicely join the Democratic campaign " 'if he wants to have any impact at all.' "

  . . . Wait a minute! Our man has no luster? Anyone who knows the inimitable Andy Hedden-Nicely might say a lot of things about him, but lacking in LUSTER? But we don't think Malloy's talking about personality traits. He's using the typical code words for: Hedden-Nicely can't spend like these other guys.

  Andersen's full story

  BORDER SECURITY LINKED TO IMMIGRATION: We see the immigration debate as directly related to the terrorist threats in the public's mind. This is traceable to the Bush Administration's policies carried out in the wake of 9/11. It was to go OVER THERE, to get THOSE BAD GUYS instead of really stepping up the security at our home borders and ports. We fault the Administration for that.  It puts the debate about illegal immigrants in an environment of fear. At the same time, common sense tells us that the immigration bill now proposed by the House of Representatives is impractical.

  So on immigration, we are rather in step with the President and the Senate on the matter of what to do with illegals and controlling the border and visa situations. Unfortunately, we believe a broader amnesty for those illegals already in the U.S. must be a part of any practical solution. It's not about rewarding them after they broke our laws. It's about the range of options we now have due to a past failed policy. A course correction. Meanwhile we are studying a compromise plan recently announced by Rep. Mike Pence, an Indiana Republican. However we solve this problem, we believe strongly that the most critical part of it is to shore up our borders and ports. All of them.

  NEW AND IMPROVED: OUR NEW ONLINE OFFERINGS: Andy’s website has been upgraded and expanded at www.hedden-nicely.com. The site is also still operating under the existing party web address, www.unitedparty.net. Our online service is now getting frequent updates, which means that users and newsletter recipients can get some newsletter information ahead of our weekly mailings. The site offers overviews of our positions on major issues facing our country and a growing amount of information that further specifies where Andy stands. Log on and let us know what you think.

  SICK OF IT ALL? WE ARE TOO, SO LET’S GET TOGETHER. There are several ways you can help us to send a signal to Washington that we’re sick of it all: 1) Go through your email lists and peel off the addresses of those people you know are sick and tired of the status quo in our Federal government and send them to us. We always provide an “opt out” (see above) if anyone wants to be removed from our lists. 2) Donate Cash: Make checks payable to The United Party and mail them to P.O. Box 2109, Boise, ID 83712-2109. If you wish to make a donation by credit card go to https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr and be generous. 3) We're looking for the donation of an RV that will sleep a minimum of four that we can use from June through October. Please drop a note to mail at hedden-nicely.com if you can offer us any help.

  FOLLOW ANDY: UPCOMING CALENDAR DATES.  Please join us at any of the following events. First District supporters who are willing to host local events are also kindly invited to contact us for us are kindly requested to drop a note to us at  mail at hedden-nicely.com.

  JUNE 29 – 7:30: MEET THE CANDIDATE RECEPTION - Home of Steve and Rachel Abrahamson. Light refreshments served. Child-care provided. 1920 S. Doe Creek Way, Boise; tel 375-1920.

  JULY 4 – COEUR D'ALENE FOURTH CELEBRATION - Andy will ride in the parade and our campaign will have an information booth in the park.

  JULY 12 – NOON: GEM COUNTY SENIOR CENTER LUNCH - Andy will address seniors on issues of particular relevance to them.

  JULY 15 – Snake River Stampede Parade

  JULY 26-29 ­– Canyon County Fair (booth)

  AUGUST 8-11 – Valley County Fair (booth)

  AUGUST 18-27 – Western Idaho Fair (booth)