[Vision2020] When Wal-Marts go Dark

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Tue Jun 20 16:53:55 PDT 2006

We have heard the "just-in-time" inventory system is why they are in a
rush to build a second Wal-Mart in Fairbanks and a second in the
Wasilla-Palmer location.  The stores up transfer their stock around in a
400+ mile system that drives just both store managers and customers
nuts.  Just imagine a Boise store stocking the Moscow store, I cannot
see how they keep their prices down.
Wal-Mart pays good wages here as well since they learned quickly that
minimum wage cannot attract even decent employees in a labor market that
is as tight as Alaska's.
Their volume here is incredible as well, it is not unusual to see
families leaving the store with 2 or 3 shopping carts filled with stuff.
Store managers love to tell us that the Fairbanks Wal-Mart just about
leads all of their other stores in sales.  These guys even have
contracts with bush pilots to move products to the far reaches of the
state and Siberia. (I have been told from North Slope Borough officials
that it was painfully obvious to their solid waste managers when the
Fairbanks store opened, Wal-Mart consumers produce one heck of a pile of
trash that the smaller communities cannot handle; they are looking to
the state and the feds to fund construction of new incinerators to
handle the load).

Wayne's comment below about trying to reverse the trend of super centers
is interesting in light of Wal-Mart's effect on the economy of interior
Alaska.  Our economic professionals have noted that Wal-Mart has really
sparked a new found interest in many of the smaller mom-and-pop stores
in the region.  Several of these stores such as Big Rays, Beaver Sports,
and the Prospector have seen increased sales since Wal-Mart moved in.
These stores carry the higher end gear, clothes, bikes, and so forth
that Wal-Mart does not carry, people that come to town to shop head off
to these stores after visiting Wal-Mart and find that they have been
getting a good deal from these people all along.

Chris