[Vision2020] oops

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 09:33:00 PDT 2006

On 6/19/06, Michael <metzler at moscow.com> wrote:

> Sorry!  Not only am I way over limit for today, that was personal
> correspondence I was responding to.  My apologies.
>

> Michael
>

> > The Biblical arguments are why I'm staying out of it: I realize that I'd
> be arguing from entirely different premises than you.
>

> Oh, come on.  Deciding what would be the most genuine Christian
> understanding of gender distinction has value for everyone don't you think?
> : -)  If Christians are forced to hold a submission model, and if submission
> is a priori bad, then you have an argument against Christianity.   I don't
> think we will be starting from entirely different premises though, as I
> think our discussion about pursuer/pursued construct evidences…..

Let me go back to the beginning and explain what my different premises
are, because I'm not sure that the extent of that difference is clear
to a lot of Christians. I am not a believer in the inerrancy of the
Bible. More particularly, I am not a believer in the coherence of the
Bible -- which is not to say that I believe that Bible says nothing,
but that, *as a singular document*, it is artificially constructed.

The books of the BIble were written over a span of over 1500 years, in
Hebrew and Aramaic, under radicaly different forms of government, and
reflect radically different understandings of the nature of God.
Asking what the "true" answer to "what does  the Bible say about X?"
is, to me, like querying any selection of documents written on one
topic over 1500 years about what the "true" nature of the topic is.

-- ACS