[Vision2020] anysoldier.com

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 02:07:04 PDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Joan Opyr <joanopyr at moscow.com> wrote:

> I won't bother to address the outrage of RV Cowboy's equating
> opposition to the war in Iraq with being "happy" when U. S. soldiers
> are killed.  Chasuk has already dealt with this, and his comments are
> right on target.  No need to muddy the waters with a slam of my own.
> Instead, I'd like to direct Visionaries' attention to the following
> website:  http://www.anysoldier.com.  At Any Soldier, you can donate
> care packages to service members in Iraq.  Perhaps some of you know a
> service member; you can address your package to him or her.  Or, like
> me, you can pick any soldier, any Marine, any sailor, or any Coast
> Guard member and mail that unknown person a care package.  From cookies
> to calling cards, from entertainment packages to personal hygiene
> products, you can send someone overseas something to show that you
> really do give a damn.  Just as opposition to the war is not the same
> as opposing those who serve, support for U. S. soldiers is not support
> for the war.

I know that when I was an airmen sitting in the desert that I
certainly appreciated anything that kind civilians sent me.  Books
were probably my favorite.  Puzzle books and mechanical pencils (with
extra lead) were also appreciated.  Occasionally an enterprising
person would send a fruit cake soaked in rum, which was thoughtful.
Magazines would arrive with all of the pictures cut out (to excise any
photos of women that might have been baring skin), so I don't know
that they would be a good idea.  Fudge would usually arrive and still
be palatable.  Kleenex.  The air fresheners that you find hanging in
trucks and cars.  Deodorant.  Decks of playing cards.  Sometimes we
would get pork products labeled as beef.  Dried fruit.  Chewing gum.
Packets of flavored beverage power that require water only.  Once I
got a box of squirt guns and balloons.