[Vision2020] US victory??

David Williams davidwilliams365 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 19 10:57:09 PDT 2006

Well, the US soccer team finally showed up for the 2006 World Cup.  The
match against Italy on Saturday was the gutsiest, grittiest,
grind-it-out-to-the-90th-minute game of the tournament.  The resurgent
Americans, soundly thrashed by the Czechs 3-0 a week ago today, outhustled
and outplayed a strong Italian team throughout most of the game.  An amazing
37 fouls were committed by both teams, and 3 red cards awarded (2 to the US,
1 to Italy).  Sadly, I was unable to watch this game live, since a friend of
mine foolishly decided to schedule his wedding at the same time the match
was aired.  But I had a buddy feed me live updates via cell phone.  Here's
what happened, at least from my perspective:

After the wedding ceremony (about 30min. long), Nick called me with an
update, saying the Italians had scored first.  This was a big blow, seeing
as the American strategy hinged on drawing first blood.  But while he was
describing the Italian goal, he began yelling into the phone that we'd (the
US, I'm American, you see) scored on a free kick.  Immediately following
this (a few seconds) he began yelling again.  This time it was because
Italian midfielder De Rossi received a red card for elbowing US forward
Brian McBride in the face.  The score was now 1-1, and we had a man
advantage.  This was not to last, however, because in the 44th min., right
before halftime, US midfielder Pablo Mastroeni received an red card for a
'studs up' slide tackle.  So at the half, the score was tied, and both teams
were playing with 10 men.  In the first two minutes of the second half,
Eddie Pope received his second yellow card, and was sent off the field,
leaving the US with 9 men to Italy's 10.  Though we were at a disadvantage,
the US played Italy to a 0-0 draw in the second half.  DaMarcus Beasley even
managed to put one in the back of the net for the US, though this was called
off b/c McBride was a few feet offsides.

Alrighty....  here's what needs to happen for the US to advance to the next
round:  In pool, or group play, advancement is based on a points system,
which awards 3pts. for a win, 1pt. for a draw, and 0pts. for a loss.  This
puts Italy in the lead with 4pts. (1win, 1draw), the Czech Republic and
Ghana in second with 3pts. (both have 1win and 1loss) and the US in last
with 1pt. (1draw, 1loss). Regardless the US MUST beat Ghana on Thursday to
get the vital 3pts. needed to advance to the knockout rounds.  We also need
Italy to beat the C. Republic.  In this scenario, that would put the final
group standings at 1) Italy (7pts.), 2) United States (4pts.), 3) Ghana
(3pts.), 4) Czech Republic (3pts.).  If the C. Republic was to beat Italy,
we'd be tied with Italy in pts., and it would come down to goal
differential, or ## of goals scored by each team.  Right now, they've scored
3, and we've scored 1, so we'd need to score at least 2 goals, and have the
Czechs' shut them out, to even up with Italy in goals differential.