[Vision2020] (no subject)

Larson Hicks larsonhicks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 09:35:36 PDT 2006

Visionaries,

Well, the long awaited Churchill Cup has come and gone and those of us
who were fortunate enough to be able to travel up to Edmonton were
certainly not disappointed.  Because of the (unfortunate) fact that
the 6th game of the Stanley Cup was being played between the Edmonton
Oilers and the Carolina Hurricanes in the Oiler's home town, turn out
at the Chruchill Cup was a little lighter than expected (still well
attended though) and the schedule was tailored to allow for the most
important/interesting games to fit into hard-core Oiler fans'
schedules.  So, the 5th place game, between Canada and America was
held last, instead of first.  It was a good game, the Americans fought
hard and, although they lost by almost 20 points, they placed thier
last, much deserved, try on the ground in the final minute of the
game.  I was proud - we'll be back.

The England/Ireland game was a lot of fun.  Excellent rugby game
all-around.  Ireland, in my opinion, was the slight underdog, but
capitalized on both their own strengths (thier pack) and England's
weaknesses (thier pack - they spent 10 minutes at the end of thier
last match with Scotland within 5 meters of the tryline, unable to
push it in).  Whenever England got a chance to work the ball out wide,
Ireland had trouble defending against their speed, but in the second
half, with Ireland down, they learned to force England to play with
thier pack.  Several tries were mauled in by the Irish and earned them
the 3rd place/Silver Cup at the tournament.

Finally, we got to enjoy the brutal and beautiful dance that is All
Blacks rugby.  Scottland played hard and well, but came up in the
neighborhood of 30 points short.  As all of you know, in rugby there
are no forward passes, which means that most passing is done to
players behind you.  The All Blacks, however, have an amazing way of
leaving the ball hanging in the air directly to thier side as they're
getting tackled and miraculously, there is always a player there to
grab it.  Sure, sometimes "leaving the ball hanging in the air" may
mean that the player leaves it to his left side with his right hand
behind his back (picture a team full of Magic Johnsons...but rugby).
It really is amazing to watch.  Aside from that, they have an uncanny
ability to stop a man dead in his tracks on defense and very seldom
waste more than one player on a tackle.

At any rate, it was great fun and I look forward to next year's tournament!

Cheers,
Larson