[Vision2020] Kerfuffle

Jennifer McFarland jmcfarland at latah.id.us
Fri Jun 16 11:56:46 PDT 2006

Dear Chas and J Ford,

I do not know what was/is going on at Winco.  Since we don't share a
building or a Dispatch center with MPD, we don't have a very good system for
letting each other know what is going on within our separate agencies.

Insofar as whether or not they are looking for a "wanted" person and why
that would not have been released to the general public: It is often easier
(for law enforcement types) to find a suspect when he/she is not tipped off
that we are looking for him/her.  The decision as to what to release and
when is based on a totality of circumstances of the facts of the case.  We
weigh public safety with case integrity (and other factors) and do what we
think is best.  Sometimes we are wrong, but it is never because of lack of
care or (often painful and heated) deliberation.

Note to J Ford--I posted a follow-up regarding the Hergert case as soon as
the arrest came to my attention.  That post was sent to Vision2020 on
6/13/2006 at 13:18.  Please check on things like this in the future before
publicly asserting that we did not follow-up on our duties.

--Jennifer

PIO Jennifer L. McFarland
Latah County Sheriff's Office
Public Information Officer
PO Box 8068
Moscow, Idaho 83843
(208) 882-2216
Fax (208) 883-2281
http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/Sheriff_Main.htm

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
***Ralph Waldo Emerson