[Vision2020] NAMBLA does not speak for me.

Taro Tanaka taro_tanaka at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 16 08:27:40 PDT 2006

"NAMBLA does not speak for me."

Even if NAMBLA did speak for someone, he or she could hardly admit that fact
publicly in modern America, especially in Idaho. Joan compares NAMBLA to the
Army of God, which is a good turn of phrase for public relations purposes,
but it is not really an apt comparison. The Army of God has never been
allowed to march in the St. Patrick's Day Parade, but NAMBLA has
participated in San Francisco's Gay Freedom Day March along with Dykes on
Bikes and the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Admittedly, that was a few
years ago, and NAMBLA is increasingly "persona non grata" now. Even years
back, they were barely tolerated and were opposed by many if not a majority
of homosexuals. I think -- and at least some "mainstream" GLBT commentators
admit -- that this has a dimension of genuine disapproval of pederasty along
with a dimension of pure political pragmatism.

Without pretending to be neutral, I shall try to speak about this as
dispassionately as I am able.

In our culture, full-blown pedophilia is absolutely forbidden, but
idolaization of youth is "in." Youth sells, sex sells, and "edgy" youthful
sex sells. This is true for both homosexuals and heterosexuals. Perceptions
-- and the reality -- of perverseness deepen precipitously as the boundary
of puberty is crossed. Pre-pubescent flesh is the Unholy of Unholies to
anyone who has passed the point of puberty, especially to adults. The
overwhelming consensus is that anyone who treats pre-pubescent children as
sexual objects is depraved in the extreme.

But from the onset of puberty up to the age of legal adulthood, there is a
gray zone continuum. (I'm not talking about my personal morality, but rather
about what our society generally tolerates in varying degrees.) This zone is
the realm of many an adult fantasy, exploited by advertisers and Hollywood
to titillate us. And it is true for both heteros and homos. In ancient
Greece, it was boys in this age zone that were wooed by adult men for
pederastic relationships. Homosexuality in ancient Greece was predominantly
pederasy, so when people talk approvingly of the ancient Greeks' tolerance
for homosexuality, they are actually talking approvingly of the ancient
Greeks' tolerance for pederasty. (Although not everyone is well-informed
about the historical facts.)

However, it needs to be noted that ancient Greek pederasty had nothing to do
with molestation of two-year-old boys. Part of the reason why NAMBLA is such
a huge liability for homosexuals in general is that is isn't clear whether
they are advocatiing the wooing of boys past the age of puberty or
advocating the molestation of two-year-olds. So even in quarters where there
is some sympathy for the idea of pederasty along the lines of that practiced
by the ancient Greeks, there is a fear among homosexuals that they are all
going to be painted as a bunch of perverts who can't wait to get their hands
on somebody's two-year-old. And even though I think homosexuality is
immoral, I also think we need to acknowledge big differences among adult
consensual sex, "classical pederasty," and molestation of two-year-olds.
>From the gay rights perspective, the last thing they want to be saddled with
is the image of being a bunch of child molesters.

The article on pederasty at GLBTQ.com
(http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences/pederasty.html) is very frank:

"In the West, the relationship between the predominantly androphilic
homophile movement and the pederasts has been contentious. Though some in
the American gay community welcomed what they called boy lovers, most
excluded them for political if no other reasons."

This last point is very important. 1990 saw the publication of what is
arguably the single most influential book in the history of the modern gay
rights movement, "After the Ball : How America Will Conquer Its Fear and
Hatred of Gays in the 90's," by Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen. Basically,
it was a strategy manual on how to manipulate public opinion in modern
American society in order to win acceptance for homosexuality. I no longer
own this book, but I did read it from cover to cover a few years ago. One
reviewer at Amazon says it well: "This book pioneered the movement's shift
toward pragmatism. Although its tone is sometimes too harsh and its
generalizations too sweeping, AFTER THE BALL remains a prescient landmark in
the American gay rights movement. The book recast the debate about effective
tactics among gay activists, and laid the foundation stone for organizations
such as GLAAD. The book's logic for gays is compelling, if uncomfortable:
either face the unvarnished realities of American bigotry, and attack them
aggressively at their psychological roots, or else fail to win a secure
place in society. Ever since it made waves inside and outside the gay
community, this polemic has been condemned by both the gay left wing and the
religious right wing -- so it must be doing something right for the rest of
us."

One of the core points stressed by the above book is that homosexuals as a
group must jettison NAMBLA -- NAMBLA must be airbrushed out of the picture,
so to speak. And since that book's argument was persuasive and carried the
day, that is exactly what has happened. So while there was a time in the
past when NAMBLA was accepted, that is now ancient history, long flushed
down the memory hole.

But the ideological underpinnings of homosexuality, or at least of the gay
rights movement, retain a high view of the ancient Greeks and their
tolerance of pederasty (homosexuality). If you go to the online encyclopedia
GLBTQ.com and do a search on "Dahmer," "Gacy," or "Meiwes," you won't find
them listed among the various famous homosexuals discussed by that site,
even though all three of them were most definitely homosexuals, and most
definitely famous. (And no, I am NOT saying that anybody is more prone to
murder or cannibalism simply because he or she is a homosexual.) But the
reason those people are not discussed is because there is no way on earth
they can be held up as heroes or martyrs for the cause of gay rights.
However, the pederasts mentioned at the New West article by "Camille
Saint-Saens" (a far from exhaustive list, by the way) were taken from
GLBTQ.com, where articles can be found mentioning, but never condemning,
their pederasty. That is because these men -- these pederasts -- are held up
as heroes and martyrs for the cause of gay rights.

Village Voice editor Richard Goldstein wrote a very interesting article
pertinent to this subject in The Advocate, titled "The Double Standard"
(Aug. 20, 2002). Near the end of his article he asks, "if we eroticize the
nymphet, why not the lascivious lad? And if we trust straight men to enjoy
such reveries without committing child abuse, why compel gay men to deny
them? What’s at stake is more than some abstract issue of equality: A libido
that is too heavily policed is an incubator of pathology . . . Generations
of young people have benefited from the great capacity for mentoring that
many gay men have. Who knows how many boys will now be deprived of this
nurturing in the name of safety. Talk about throwing the baby out with the
bathwater."

That sort of language bothers me, and it ought to bother you too. But
remember that it appeared in The Advocate, the most "mainstream" of gay
publications.

So maybe NAMBLA doesn't speak for Joan Opyr. But pederasty nevertheless
remains a thriving undercurrent in homosexuality even today, and the main
reason it has to stay in the closet -- for now, at least -- is largely, if
not primarily, a matter of political expediency. Christ Chruch vehemently
rejects the actions of not only Steven Sitler but also of Jamin Wight, and
not because of political expediency but rather because such things are
prohibited by God. Yet the GLBT community has many of its own Jamin Wights.
The GLBT community cannot openly embrace them, partly because some people
think it is just plain wrong and partly becasue it is politically
inexpedient. Nevertheless, the GLBT community cannot sever itself off from
such practices, because it would mean severing its own roots. And that, I
believe, accounts for the ambivalence on the part of the community. At any
rate, if Joan Opyr wants to wage battle against such problems, I'm all for
it. The facts discussed above should help to point her in the right
direction, and it's not in the direction of Christ Church.

-- Princess Sushitushi