[Vision2020] The age of consent

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 16:28:46 PDT 2006

> "Consent" is consent to marriage, not to sex outside of marriage. In a
> Christian society, we should not need to set a particular minimum age for
> allowing people to marry, because at least one set of parents always has a
> say in the matter: the parents of the daughter. Not only that, but the
> daughter also has a say in the matter. The parents can veto the marriage,
> but they cannot force their daughter to marry someone that she does not want
> to marry. So, if the daughter thinks she's too young, or that the guy isn't
> Mr. Right, she can say no. Ditto for the girl's father. Because people know
> themselves and their children, and love one another, and are not insane,
> they know when it is a good time to get married. The pastor performing the
> marriage also has considerable say, in that no pastor worth his salt will
> perform a marriage without premarital counseling. So, in a Christian society
> governed by biblical laws, we could eliminate the minimum age laws regarding
> marriage and the resulting problems would be nil.

It's a peculiar form of up-is-downism to assert that the person
arguing for <i>stricter</i> laws against pedophilia is condoning
pedophilia while simultaneously asserting that there should be
<i>no</i> laws against pedophilia, so long as the father of the child,
a priest, and the perpetrator are willing to collude in order to enact
the transfer of woman-chattel.

Vile.

-- ACS