[Vision2020] horses make way for housing

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Wed Jun 14 16:52:27 PDT 2006

Thought some of you might be interested in this...
Debbie

Ranchers round up horses to make way for development
Seattle Times
June 5, 2006
By The Associated Press

COLOCKUM, Wash. - For 20 years, Claude Miller and Dick Blue have

leased 11,000 acres in central Washington's Colockum hills for
grazing land for their 250 to 300 horses, which are used in
youth camps and resorts across Washington state.

The horses might still travel, but their home base will change
beginning this week, as scores of volunteers gathered to help
Miller and Blue round up their horses from the open land south
of Wenatchee to make room for possible housing developments.

"It's kind of a sad day," Blue said. "There aren't many of these

kinds of places, grazing ranches, like this anymore. They're
hard to find. This is the end of cowboying as we know it."

Miller-Blue Outfitters opened for business as a small operation
in 1970. Today, Miller-Blue partners with at least 12 different
youth groups, resorts and churches throughout Washington.

"Over the years, I guess we've seen about 1.5 million children
ride our horses and by the summer, we'll have about 1,000
children a day on one of our horses," Blue said. "This wasn't
meant to be a moneymaking operation. We weren't really having to

make a living with it."

He later added: "The disappearance of ranches is a sign of the
times. With property values out of sight, grazing ranches are
disappearing because of development and becoming a thing of the
past in this part of the country."

More than 200 horses were rounded up on Sunday, and the effort
continued Monday.

"It's the end of an era," said LeRoy Gray, one of the volunteers

and a close friend of both men. "I guess when one goes away,
another begins."

Miller-Blue Outfitters is gearing up to send its horses to
summer youth camps as it has done for years. But around Labor
Day, once summer activities are over, the horses will go to
Miller's 534 acres in the Methow Valley.

While Miller said he's not sure whether their outfit will ever
find property large enough to hold all of the horses like the
property in Colockum, he said neither he nor Blue have any hard
feelings about having to move them.

"It isn't just happening here, it's all around," Miller said.
"That's just how life is. It rolls and then it goes on."

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company