[Vision2020] AGAIN! The punishment does not fit the crime

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 10:39:58 PDT 2006

Andreas,

 If a convicted and self confessed child offender was  caught in the act of talking alone with a little girl and in violation  of his probation, I would hope to God they would get some time. I think  there should be little tolerance for that type of behavior. They are  released on Probation under that auspices that they will behave and  stay away from children in the community.

 Thanks for letting  me know this. I think I am in agreement with Phil and Hansen on this  issue. If the law is not going to throw the book at these criminals  when they clearly are violating their prohibition, let us just lock  them up good and tight then-it just isn't worth the risk.

  _DJA

Andreas Schou <ophite at gmail.com> wrote:  On 6/9/06, Donovan Arnold  wrote:
> Hansen,
>
>  You don't need to send us every email three times.
>

>  You wrote:
>
>  "If, on some Friday afternoon while at the Palouse Mall, you should see
>  Sitler in the parking lot talking with a grade school girl (perhaps that
>  girl is a relative [no need for alarm], perhaps not), wouldn't you feel
> more
>  at ease if Sitler was in the company of an adult responsible for Sitler?"
>
>  That would be a violation of his probation, Tom. If he did that, he would
> get caught, no doubt, and go to jail for the rest of his life.

Note, Donovan, that a "suspended life sentence" does not mean that the
sentence must be executed all at once. When someone receives a
suspended sentence, any amount of time remaining on that sentence (in
the case of a life sentence, infinite time) can be requested by the
probation officer and approved by the judge.

For talking to a grade school kid alone, I seriously doubt he'd
receive an entire life sentence, or -- really -- any time whatsoever.
There's a whole range of punishments that can be used against people
on probation.

-- ACS