[Vision2020] shamelessness

Douglas dougwils at christkirk.com
Wed Jun 7 14:29:49 PDT 2006

Jackie,

Your grasp of the facts in this case are about as firm as your knowledge
of where my property lines are.

1. Yes, I was notified in writing by Sitler's home church about what
they had done in response to the information that came to them from us.
They had done it in part because Steven was there at home, awaiting
trial. He was suspended from the Lord's Supper by them, and not allowed
to come to church because of the children there. But we were not
responding to a problem uncovered there, they were responding to a
problem uncovered here. You appear to have this backwards.

2. Yes, Sitler received counseling from me before the charges were
filed, but not before the authorities were informed of his crime. And in
the course of that counseling, additional crimes were confessed, and
were consequently confessed by Sitler to the authorities. What possible
problem could you have with this?

3. With regard to your third point, no announcements were made to anyone
before the civil authorities were notified. You say, somewhat coyly,
that "records prove that." Oh? What records? And no, the authorities
were not notified by me directly. Of course not. I already said what
happened. The parents found out, they talked to me, I urged them to
report it immediately, which they were already intending to do, and the
legal aspect of the whole thing was turned over to the civil authorities
within hours of finding out. Jennifer's post earlier confirms that as well.

4. Your fourth point is beside the point. From the time Steven was
caught, down to the present, he has been given no opportunity whatever
with children. None. Zilch. For the overwhelming majority of that time,
he was not in Moscow at all. He was in his hometown awaiting trial
(where parents were appropriately warned), he spent time in Cottonwood
in the prison there, and he is now in the jail here. Everything that
needed to be done to protect children was done. Stop hyper-ventilating.

5. One of the reasons I like to work together with men of integrity like
Dean Wullenwaber is that I know that there will be no attempts to get
guilty individuals off on bogus technicalities. If you think that Steven
should have an attorney, then why not an honest one? If you don't want
someone like Steven to have an attorney, then why don't you just say so?

Douglas Wilson