[Vision2020] Gay amendment

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jun 6 06:33:22 PDT 2006

In my opinion, same-sex marriage is a non-issue.  I believe that the primary
(if not the ONLY) reason this issue is brought up is King George's attempt
to unify his conservative base behind a common cause before the November
elections.  This is what people do when their popularity drops below 30%.

There are two reasons why I consider this to be a non-issue.

1)  A "Marriage Amendment" is extremely unlikely to pass in the US Senate.
Given recent developments, it is also not likely to make any high marks in
the House, either.

2)  King George is hoping for a strongly partisan debate on this issue.
This would serve to galvanize his base as he prances around the country
making exaggerated claims that the Democratic Party is pushing for special
privileges for those heinous homosexuals whose sole agenda is to deteriorate
American family values, when all the Dems are pushing for is NOT special
privileges, but EQUAL RIGHTS.

Thoughts?

Tom "straight but not narrow" Hansen

Moscow, Idaho

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in
that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity,
their dignity and personhood,"

- Coretta Scott King (March 30, 1998)

  _____