[Vision2020] IBTA Decisions

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 10:54:11 PDT 2006

Wayne,

 So what is your point? That we not have any non-profit  organizations? That we get to pick and choose what we want to pay taxes  for on an individual bases?

  I think the war in Iraq and the war on drugs are bigger wastes of money than anything locally, and certainly more costly.

  _DJA

Art Deco <deco at moscow.com> wrote:              Rose, Saundra, et al,

  The problems of unfair/unbalanced taxation that   you have exposed are but a tip of the iceberg.

  Here is the problem of granting tax-exemptions   (income, property, sales, etc) to so-called non-profit   organizations:

  Whenever  one person, a group of persons, or an organization is given  preferential tax treatment, the rest of us must make up the difference  with our tax payments.  Those non-profits specially favored with  no taxes use that money that they do not pay (and the rest of make  up for by paying) to further the goals of their organization.  In  other words, those of us taxed are involuntarily  paying for the pursuance of any non-profit's goals.  Further,  those of forced to contribute to these organizations have no way to  influence the way such contributions are used.

  None of us probably favor the goals of all   organizations granted this special   treatment.

  For  example, I resent having to pay for the Hertiage  Foundation pursuance of their goals and I am sure that there are  members of the Heritage Foundation that resent being forced  to pay for the activities of the Brookings Institute.  [Use your  imagination to think of all the non-governmental,  non-profit organizations whose activities you  are being forced to subsidize and whose activities conflict with your  ethical/political/social outlook and whom you would not choose to  support had you the personal freedom/discretion not to, for example.]

  This  is a clear violation of personal freedom to choose what  ideals/activities to support with our own money.  It is  also inconsistent with free-enterprise philosophy which directs that  any non-governmental organization depend on their success in  the marketplace to finance their own activities.

  It  would be foolish to expect any of our legislators to support the  abolishment of preferential tax treatment of non-profits at this  juncture.  This is partially because we as citizens and they as  legislators are basically ignorant of the cost to each taxpayer of  these gifts and the financial and ethical impact on those not so gifted.

  A  start to curing this ignorance and a start towards better tax laws with  respect to non-profits would be to pass a set of laws mandating that  the various taxing entities be required to determine and to publish the  amount of taxes lost under the various preferences granted to each  non-profit and the general categories of nonprofits as defined by  the tax law.  As part of these reports, the financial impacts  on classes of individuals should also be calculated so that  we can understand the financial impact on ourselves as individual  taxpayers.

  If,  for example, knowing the amount it cost for each individual to  grant tax free status to religious organizations (especially those  whose teachings are in opposition to our own personal beliefs) may  influence the public's and eventually the legislators' willingness to  continue these free rides to non-governmental organizations and to continue   violating our personal freedom which such forced   subsidies totally abrogate.

  Abolishing  tax-free rides for nonprofits would not necessarily diminish the total  amount of money collected now by these organizations.  But by  making contributions/support/etc voluntary and dependent upon the  ideals and activities of each organization, there would probably be  some shift driven by the marketplace and considerations of general  worth in the distribution of that money.  Monies which individuals  are not being forced to fork over could be re-directed to the  non-governmental organizations of the individual's own choice.

  In  the long run, abolishing tax-free status would not only restore  personal freedom of what to do with the discretionary funds we choose  to disburse, but will force those organizations we are now being forced  to support (without our having any way to influence their  activities) to operate much more openly, intelligently, legally,  and effectively.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID    83843